Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-25-2004, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Installing New Carpet in my 86 S&S

I am sure there are some old threads out there.. wanted to hear about successes of New carpet installation. I have found a marine carpet that is called "Mistic" it runs $40.50/yard (8 feet in width)... I'm assuming 8 feet in width is what I would need to get up on the sides of my 86 S&S. Anyone tackled this project? Plan to replace the skins as well. Not sure if I can get them through MC or will have to go to a after market. Want to try and keep it as origional as I can.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
I purchased carpet for my '83 S&S a few years ago through an MC dealer. You may want to try this if you want to stay as original as possible. I think it was only 6 ft wide. Given the area between the stringers, I don't think any piece has to span the entire width of the boat and up the sides. Also, MC has skins for 1984 on up. I've heard it's good to get quotes from a few dealers as they don't all charge the same.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Great Information. Thanks Terry. Do you mind me asking what ball park I would expect to pay for carpet and skins? Layout of your 84 will be very close to my 86. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:27 PM
MC Devotee

There's a thread on the old site in the most recent archive under "It worked for me" about Skins. I'll try to find the invoice for the carpet.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Terry, perfect thread on the skins.... I'll check to see if the 86' skins are any less..... would guess they are not any cheaper...
For the quick math replacing all new skins would run almost $2,000 Think I'll get a nice beach towel.... or find a little vinyl repair. Any thoughts on repair of the drivers seat back?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:13 PM
MC Devotee

I've heard you can do it for around $1,500.00. Maybe they have a package deal!! .... the beach towel sounds better all the time! I guess you could replace the most badly damaged pieces now and do the rest over time. Of course, that assumes that they are available for a while. What's wrong with the drivers seat back?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

The top right side / top corner of the back of the seat has a tear that is growing. For the origional skins on an '86. It's not that bad. Probably due to sitting on the "high back" of the chair.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stripes
I redid the carpet years ago on my '82. Used a nice tight closed loop grade carpet. Can't recall it it was indoor/outdoor rated or not. Carpet has held up much better than the open loop stock carpet. Price was more like $12 a yard vs. the mega expensive quotes for "marine" grade.

Might be worth a look as I've been really pleased with mine.

Jeff
Old 09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great Idea. Thanks Jeff. How hard was it to remove the stock carpet?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:34 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Tom,

I replaced the carpet in my 82 three years ago. Once I had everything out of the boat, I just found a loose edge and started pulling. The glue gave way and it came out fairly easy. I did take one shortcut. I didnt replace the carpet way up in the bow. It was good as new up there as it never see's any use. I cut it just above the foot rest and then tucked the edge under the new carpet.

I did go with the marine carpet, but I think Jeff is right, the indoor/outrdoor stuff is about as good and less $$.