Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
msubryan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Trailer Tire Flies Off at 55mph

Any idea what would make a wheel break all 5 lugnuts and fly off while going down the road?

Pretty scary stuff, especially when it is hauling my baby!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by msubryan View Post
Any idea what would make a wheel break all 5 lugnuts and fly off while going down the road?

Pretty scary stuff, especially when it is hauling my baby!
Yeah- it was torqued on too tightly. How long are the remnants of the studs? Does the break point look like it was corroded?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
msubryan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The lugs had not been torqued in over a year or so. The breakpoint was 3/8" from hub, right in middle of wheel...3/8" from lug nut..(I Found 1)...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM
afkvrts's Avatar
afkvrts afkvrts is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 225 vrs
Location: West coast
Posts: 53
Ive seen it happen on a fishing boat.

The lugs were rusty and when we hit a bad pot hole in the asphalt at 55 mph - the freaking wheel came off.


Sucked - cause it was a single axle trailer and we were forced to call a tow truck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
ahhudgins's Avatar
ahhudgins ahhudgins is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,741
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by afkvrts View Post
Ive seen it happen on a fishing boat.

The lugs were rusty and when we hit a bad pot hole in the asphalt at 55 mph - the freaking wheel came off.


Sucked - cause it was a single axle trailer and we were forced to call a tow truck
Same thing happened to be on a long road trip. I had repacked my bearings on the single axle trailer before we left and I checked the torque on the lug nuts several times during the trip. I hit a massive pot hole about 50 miles from my destination and about 5 minutes later the whole wheel flew across the road right in front of a state trooper (and I was speeding at the time). The trooper found my wheel/tire and didn't write me up, I guess he felt sorry for me. Two of my studs had obvious old rusty cracks in them and the pot hole finished them off. I had an extra spindle and jack with me so I was back on the road in a few minutes with a messed up trailer fender.
__________________
“You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:26 PM
nbkdaw3 nbkdaw3 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Boat: X-1 2007 & 2009 197 2009 & 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 17
wheel flys off

I had this happen but instead of going 55 i was going 70+ shot off like a cannon right through the fiberglass runners and flew in the air straight up I bet 30 feet. Never found tire and just gald no one behind me did not freak out and get hit. How did it happen? A few days before my brakes had been locked up so I took the tire off and got the brakes realesed by removing the calipers. I remembered afterwards I had only tighten the bolts up while the boat was not on the trailer and the tire would spin when i was trying to get them supper tight. In all the other packing I forgot to tighten before we left with the boat on to hold the tire steady. I took off from Fl headed back to NC with the boat and made it about 1 hour north of Orlando before it came off. I suspect one by one the nust got loose and the rim sheared each lug off till it came off. I learned a valuable lesson. I never head very far with my trailer without a full check of of the tires and the lug nuts. I believe your lug nuts were lose and the same thing happened.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkdaw3 View Post
I had this happen but instead of going 55 i was going 70+ shot off like a cannon right through the fiberglass runners and flew in the air straight up I bet 30 feet. Never found tire and just gald no one behind me did not freak out and get hit. How did it happen? A few days before my brakes had been locked up so I took the tire off and got the brakes realesed by removing the calipers. I remembered afterwards I had only tighten the bolts up while the boat was not on the trailer and the tire would spin when i was trying to get them supper tight. In all the other packing I forgot to tighten before we left with the boat on to hold the tire steady. I took off from Fl headed back to NC with the boat and made it about 1 hour north of Orlando before it came off. I suspect one by one the nust got loose and the rim sheared each lug off till it came off. I learned a valuable lesson. I never head very far with my trailer without a full check of of the tires and the lug nuts. I believe your lug nuts were lose and the same thing happened.
Too tight or too loose will have the same effect. The same thing can happen if you don't use a star pattern when initially seating the wheel. If the wheel is not square to the wheel flange, it will soon work itself loose and make an exit. This happened to my F150 when I let my brother put a rear wheel on following a brake job.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-18-2011, 08:40 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by msubryan View Post
Any idea what would make a wheel break all 5 lugnuts and fly off while going down the road?

Pretty scary stuff, especially when it is hauling my baby!
Lug nuts probably loosened up, sheared a lug followed by the rest.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Maristar210 Maristar210 is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Location: River
Posts: 8,801
Your lug nuts came loose and the tire left the fasade.......
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM
woobiedmd's Avatar
woobiedmd woobiedmd is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Boat: mastercraft PS190 1988 351
Location: phila burbs
Posts: 156
Roger the loose lugnuts. Last year after replacing a broken leaf spring on a 20+ yo trailer, I had the same thing happen. I had never re-torqued them. All the bolts sheared off and you could see how rusty they were. To add insult to injury, the boat and trailer slid off the side of the flatbed. What a mess and a valuable lesson. Now I have new hubs, rims/tires all around and I always check the torque before going anywhere! If I could figure out how to make my pix smaller, I will post pix of this installment in the "Adventures of Boating" saga.

Last edited by woobiedmd; 06-19-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.