Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Replace with Good Year Marathons?
Yes 13 26.00%
No 37 74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
[quote=Thrall;773247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
My trailer doesn't have flimsy fenders.

QUOTE]

Mine didn't either until it got horse-whipped by a tire tread 256 times!
Surprisingly, my old MC fiberglass fenders got out with only a few scratches.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Talking

Well my GREENBALLS have at least 6000 miles on the in 2 years. However I did have to replace 1 after the last trip back from Missouri. I hit a pot hole or something on I40 west bound. Running at least 70mph and it took a chunk of the tread off but didn't blow. In fact the only way I noticed it was I had a low front tire on the truck (thanks to the trucker that I played tag with for 1050 miles). Got out to change the tire and had a look around and thats when I found the GREENBALL had taken a hit. I would recommend GREENBALLS as I also have them on my fifthwheel.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
MC Hero

So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

/these tire manufacturers seem to be trying to outnasty the other guy when it comes to names, that's for sure.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
[quote=Thrall;773215]If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.
Have a pair on my sled trailer and they are pretty tough tires.

[quote=east tx skier;773271]So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

I have had three sets of D rated Kumho 857's in fifteen years of owning my 1996 tandem axel trailer. I have never had a blown tire let alone a single flat in that time. I keep my boat on the trailer year round and travel up and down the west coast during the summers.

I know that they are harder and harder to find these days, but I have had great success with them.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
According to the GY dealer I visited after my treed separation incident, they changed the layup in around early 2007 to try to solve the issue and were recommending you go as big as possible on the tires. My current set are 225/75/15 and D rated.
Coming from sources in the know, the new design is better but still not the answer.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-21-2011, 12:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
[quote=Patrick Hardy;773277][quote=Thrall;773215]If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.

Quote:
So am I summarizing this all correctly that our best bets are Kumho, Maxxi and Greenball?

I have had three sets of D rated Kumho 857's in fifteen years of owning my 1996 tandem axel trailer. I have never had a blown tire let alone a single flat in that time. I keep my boat on the trailer year round and travel up and down the west coast during the summers.

I know that they are harder and harder to find these days, but I have had great success with them.
Good to know, as that's what my boat trailer is getting in a cpl yrs when these tires start to take a chit.
They're also the only D load rated 14" tire available I believe, truck or trailer tire.
My single axle sled trailer had Nankang D load tires on it for 10 years, then 2 summers ago, they developed large tumors while jsut sitting in storage. One of them blew up about 4" larger in dia than it should have been. Was actually hard to get it off the lugs and under the frame rail, thought I was going to have to pop it like a big zit to remove it!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
My good friend owns a tire shop and we are going to put the Kumho's on my trailer...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Tires

Interesting topic and timing...

On my racing forum some guys are having a rash of blowouts as well...(Mind you they are bigger enclosed trailers). If I have time I will review the thread and post opinions noted there....

I am running Carisle Load Range E 16" Tires on my 32' 10,000 pound dual axle enclosed and SHOULD replace on a 3 year rotation (not because of tread but because of abuse, and weather). http://www.carlisletire.com/

Running the 1978 whitewalls on the MC trailer (And continue to dodge bullets; I have two new ones and two new spares but... I need to weld the studs to the hub and havent had time) - Heading back up to Tomahawk (4 hour drive) in a couple weeks with buttcheeks clenched and fingers crossed.

cj
Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
MC Hero

[quote=Patrick Hardy;773277][quote=Thrall;773215]If I was purchasing new tires I'd get the D rated Kumho 857's.

Quote:

I looked last night and don't see any Kumho trailer tires for 15" rims.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Coming from sources in the know, the new design is better but still not the answer.
That's what I figured. My next tires will likely be something different, but I see no visible evidence that causes me to want to chuck my present set before I get a moderate lifespan out of them.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Tags
best tire, blow out, tires, trailer, trailer tires