Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Meguiar's Cleaning products?

Anyone use them?

Im about do a detailing job on my boat and my friend was nice enough to let me use all of his stuff.

I plan on using the One-Step Compound on the hull with an electric buffer. He also has this color restore product from Meguiar which im hoping will restore my faded gel coat. I know none of this is going to be as good as a wetsand, but im trying to avoid paying top dollars. I figure ill give it a shot with a little elbow grease and see how it turns out...

Here are the products:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+M6732

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+M4416

Also, since my boat is saltwater used, I have some rust stains from the bolts on the rails. I was told that CLR might be able to remove the stains on the fiberglass? Any experience?

Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
www.adamspolishes.com and never look back.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
MC Devotee

well not exactly the response i was looking for. I think im going to use the stuff i have available to me
Old 04-01-2011, 03:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Meguiar's is pretty good stuff. I have used it for years...

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-star, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
well not exactly the response i was looking for. I think im going to use the stuff i have available to me
I use the meguires on my boat and love it but make sure you use the marine products that they have. I would go to their internet site and buy from them in bulk and save some cash. Be very carefull useing a high speed buffer on the gel coat with a cutter polish you will leave swirl marks if you are not careful. The cutter polish will help restore the gel coat but once you start doing this you will have to make sure you keeep a very good wax on the boat to keep up the appreance. You should rinse the salt water off after every use and give a good wipe down. Use a good quality spray wax everyother time you rinse and wipe down to maintain in between waxings.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
MC Devotee

yea that is usually what i do, along with the flushing and what not. When we got the boat there was some fading n stuff, so im just hoping to bring back some of the shine and color. Is the One Step Compound considered a cutter polish? All of the products is from their marine line.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
I'm no expert. My thought though is to maybe do a less aggressive polish after the one step compound.

The one-step stuff in your link is described as aggressive so it might not leave the surface as smooth as ideal. I used Meguiars swirl remover (search for swirl remover on the Meguiars site) as my last step. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference but I felt like it was worth taking that last step to make sure I did what I could to make the surface as smooth as possible.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
I used Meguiar's on the the following project and was very happy with the results:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37211

I looked at the one step, but for my case decided it was better to go with the dedicated oxidation remover, followed by polish, and then wax. The products work very well, the oxidation remover cuts fast but then breaks down and starts the polishing process really well.

This is a better Meguiar's site (dedicated to marine) then the one you were looking at:

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/

There is a lot of opinions in this world, I would put the Meguiar's marine products up against any other product - I have experience with the 3M professional products as well and will simply say they are different, both get good results.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 350 275 Hp
I love the Meguiar's quick wax, very easy to use and looks great.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC pro star 197 2005 MCX
I f you top off the last coat with Meguires Fleet wax it should last at least 6 months. I have a black hull and this stuff works!!!