Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
hopefully this can been seen okay. went up to my storage yesterday and removed the teak platform and outlined it on butcher paper. also while up at the lake went by the marina that carries supra and Moomba. I was able to get a good look at their new surf specified platform.

here is the outline of the platform and where the lines to the inside are going to by the surf platform I am planning on building.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft XStar, 08, LY6; MasterCraft ProStar 190, 91, Ford Mustang;
What about a plattform which ends at each side can be 'folded' upwards/out of the way when in surf mode, like winglets...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-30
If you have a teak swim-step you can lay a 2x6 on top of the bracket and then mount three pieces together. It does a great job of keeping your original swim step, but lifts it out of the water for wave shaping.

I guess if you have a fiberglass swimstep I would imagine you could find some material to make that happen,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by romerorrr@yahoo.com View Post
If you have a teak swim-step you can lay a 2x6 on top of the bracket and then mount three pieces together. It does a great job of keeping your original swim step, but lifts it out of the water for wave shaping.

I guess if you have a fiberglass swimstep I would imagine you could find some material to make that happen,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As far leaned over as my boat is while surfing I would think the would have to be raise about 6 or 8 inches to keep it out of the water. That just doesn't sound like a good option for me.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30
Got any pictures of the updated wake?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFuss View Post
Got any pictures of the updated wake?
No, sorry. It's been rather slow start to the weather here. I've only been out once these year and I didn't have the surf sac back in the boat yet. It was mostly a check ride after de-winterizing.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStar08 View Post
What about a plattform which ends at each side can be 'folded' upwards/out of the way when in surf mode, like winglets...
That's a nice idea. I wonder about a detachable end could be stored in the boat while surfing.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
hopefully this can been seen okay. went up to my storage yesterday and removed the teak platform and outlined it on butcher paper. also while up at the lake went by the marina that carries supra and Moomba. I was able to get a good look at their new surf specified platform.

here is the outline of the platform and where the lines to the inside are going to by the surf platform I am planning on building.
Well I did my best impression of Tommy Nation today and cut up the extra teak swim platform that I picked up. It was already about 6" narrower than the one on my boat so I just tried to take as much material as I could off the outside corners. I didn't want to have to buy any more teak so I reused the outside support pieces and that somewhat dictated the finished size. I'll try to remember to take a picture of the cut down platform sitting on top of the old one when I get it up to the lake. The bottom view shows how far I brought the outside support piece over into the supports for the brackets. The last shows how much material I cut off. Now I just need to oil it up and get it on the boat.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Looks really nice. You surely have some prior wood working skills.

I was thinking more of something that could be removed and then put back on. My fear is when I got to sell the boat and not having a full size platform.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Looks really nice. You surely have some prior wood working skills.

I was thinking more of something that could be removed and then put back on. My fear is when I got to sell the boat and not having a full size platform.

Let us know how it works out for you.
This project requires pretty basic wood working skills-I think anybody that owns the tools could knock it out pretty easily. I used a cordless circular saw, router with a straight cutting bit and round over bit, cordless drill, hammer, palm sander and putty knife. The hardest part was getting the outside support pieces off. They were glued on or the oil finish had them stuck on pretty good. I used a stiff putty knife and hammer to free them up. Once I cleaned the pieces up with the palm sander I could trace my lay out onto the platform. Rough cut the outline with the circular saw and glued and screwed the outside support piece in it's new location. I used the router to clean up the edges using the bottom outside support piece as the template. Then rounded over the edge. We'll see if it does anything once I get it on the boat and load up the sacks. If not I'll have an extra swim platform that I can alternate every year.

Last edited by rgardjr1; 05-29-2013 at 05:18 PM.