Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X-star
Ballast Pump Question

Looking at buying ballast set up from wakemakers.com ...... for the cost factor ( my cost factory...lol ) , they are recomending going with the aerator based system . Can anyone tell me if they use this system and how it works . I have a 2000 Xstar and am putting bags in the rear lockers.... boat has stock center ballast. thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Not in my boat, but I know a couple people with Supras that use factory installed aerator style pumps. One has had few problems, one has never worked right. The orientation and location of the pump is key as it is not self-priming (how well they function sometimes changes based on the boat orientation ie bow up during takeoff or bow down if front is loaded). You will also need separate pumps to fill and drain as they are not reversible. My .02? If you are going to the trouble of plumbing in a ballast system, spend the extra and be happy with it
Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
I am just now installing 2 new pumps for the rear locker bags...one per side. I went with the Jabsco set-up and tying into the existing venting. Should work great.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
I am just now installing 2 new pumps for the rear locker bags...one per side. I went with the Jabsco set-up and tying into the existing venting. Should work great.
How are you wiring the 2 extra pumps? Did you add through hulls?

I added a pump for my surf sack and wired up the relays and switch like the factory system.

I intend on doing a write up about the ballast wiring.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205, Ford 351
I use tsunami aerator pumps plumbed in for my ballast setup in my 205. I haven't had any problems and everything is auto. the fly high ballast bags from wakemakers work great because of the seperate fill and drain ports. as long as the outlets on the aerator pumps are pointed up you wont have any issues with air lock. my pumps are below the floor so the the fill pump is below the water line, and the drain pump is below the bag. it really depends on how you plumb it but a good, service free system is totally possible. I was on a budget so thats the route I went, system works great no complaints.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
If you are on a budget and want to avoid the aerator pumps, take a look at the johnson ballast pumps. They are identical to the Jabsco and even use the same green impeller.

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ul...last-pump.html

$159 each, not bad.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
How are you wiring the 2 extra pumps? Did you add through hulls?

I added a pump for my surf sack and wired up the relays and switch like the factory system.

I intend on doing a write up about the ballast wiring.
The pumps are wired direct to the switches that come with the pumps with the addition of a 20 amp breaker. I did not use a timer module. I had originally intended to run with 2 new thru-hulls but elected not to drill into the boat and run a "y" so that the fatsac is using the same thru-hull as the factory tank. The only drawback to this is that I can not fill the tank and the bag on the same side at the same time. Other than that I think it should work well. If there are any problems, at that time I will drill the boat for the new thru-hulls.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
I'm installing an aerator based ballast system in my 230 VRS as we speak.

Here's some pros and cons of each type of pump.

Aerator Pros:
-Cheap- $25-50 each
-Readily available- 800 GPH Tsunamis can be found at Wal-Mart and Academy if you have a failure and want to be back on the water fast
-Fast- When plumbed properly to prevent airlock with minimal hose restrictions they will be faster than impeller systems.
-Can run dry without damage
-Low current draw (<3 amps)

Aerator Cons:
-Mounting requirements- You've got to mount the intake pumps below the water line if you want them to work
-Not reversible- You need twice as many pumps- 1 for every fill operation and 1 for every drain
-Low Pressure- They don't generate much pressure at all just high volume so they're particularly sensitive to hose restrictions.
-Need check valves or vented loops to prevent passive emptying and filling of bags

Impeller Pros:
-Really heavy duty- They are really well built with bronze and steel. Other than the impeller they are pretty bulletproof.
-Can generate a lot of pressure to overcome restrictions
-Can pump air- flexible mounting options
-Prevent passive filling/emptying on their own with no additional valves or loops

Impeller Cons:
-Expensive- Even factoring in the large number of aerator pumps needed to do the same job you're still going to pay close to double for impeller pumps.
-High maintenance- Some people change impellers annually at $30 each. Others remove them for winterization and reinstall for the season. Others don't do either but risk them getting stuck when they sit unused for months.
-High current draw

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. Neither option is across the board superior to the other. I went with the aerators mainly because impeller pumps would have turned a $1,200 project into a $1,400-1,500 project.

Also, I wouldn't use a Supra/Moomba factory system as a benchmark for aerator systems because that was a poorly executed system. They used common residential sprinkler valves to distribute the water flow from a single aerator pump to many bags. Those types of valves don't operate well at the pressure levels generated by an aerator pump so they really restricted the flow. Lots of Supra/Moomba owners with that style of ballast system have eliminated the sprinkler valves and gone to a multi aerator pump system and have been very satisfied with the performance.

Last edited by Jeff d; 05-13-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
If you are on a budget and want to avoid the aerator pumps, take a look at the johnson ballast pumps. They are identical to the Jabsco and even use the same green impeller.

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ul...last-pump.html

$159 each, not bad.
The Johnson pumps are definitely good but depending on your application vs. the Ballast Puppies you will have to buy a switch for the Johnson. That doesn't eat up all of your savings but it pushes you $12-20 closer to the price of the Puppies.

You get a little bit faster fill time with the Johnson but I believe you give up the run dry protection that the Ballast Puppies have.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X-star
Thanks , that is great info .... i guess i just need to decide ...... both systems sound like they will work good if installed correctly . I don't think my wife knew what she got me into when she bought me the bags for my birthday ....lol $$$ .... the things we do for the sport we love.