Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
VDIG goes dark... again...

Last season my VDIG on my 2010 x14v would go dark, shutting down the PP with it. It did this frequently, causing the driver to have to be extra on top of the throttle otherwise the boat would decelerate, loosing the skier.

Took the boat back to dealer. Dealer swapped VDIG. System ran fine balance of 2010 season.

Boat de-winterized two weeks ago, first trip out... VDIG goes dark--fortunately not shutting down PP, maintaining speed etc; however, boat needed to be shut down and restarted to reactivate VDIG.

Any thoughts before I haul back to dealer?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
TT Regular

Still occuring

So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.
I haven't had enough experience with my '12 yet, but what you say is absolutely true for my car. When the engine rpm drops to idle on a weak battery, the system voltage drops enough that a bunch of gauges stop doing their thing.

I wonder if you track the system voltage when running and see if there is a relationship between bus voltage and VDIG problems.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com View Post
So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"
On my car, a flaky ignition switch would cause this. However I don't know anything about MC switches to suggest if this is likely.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm418 View Post
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.
I think so? The dealer working with Mastercraft said this particular version of VDIG has a flaw --- there are two ways to start the boat to ensure the VDIG does not lock or go black and that is to ensure the unit has either fully cycled or hasn't cycled at all when starting. As you know, when the key goes from "on" to "start" back to "on" power is diverted from the dash / VDIG. If the unit is still in the middle of its boot cycle it will shut off.

Mastercraft's direction to avoid VDIG shut-off: ...either start very quick (before the cycle begins) or you hold the key in the "on" position until it fully cycles, then strat the boat.

I have to say, armed with this "new" information, my VDIG still (frequently) goes black, causing me to have to turn boat off and attempt to start again. Not sure if I am not quick enough or too quick.

To be honest, I am still skeptical ---my best guess is the power cut off is the issue regardless of timing of the key turn. The fix, finding constant power through the start sequence.

It is annoying and often inconvenient with a skier or boarder in the water; however, I can live with it. My worry is system failure down the road when the boat is solidly out of warranty (which it became this past July).

So Mastercraft---I am trusting you at the moment...

Now to get someone to fix my faulty "Reliable" trailer actuator....
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I have a 2008 X14 and just went through the same thing ... Complete black screen and no PP ... I ended up getting a new VDIG and that fixed the issue for me ... Third VDIG ... Love it when it works!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
TT Regular

Vdig #3

I am on VDIG #2 and the issue remains. The dealer / MC was hesitant to install #3, claiming we would experience the same result.

Do you know if yours is the same unit or an updated model? My dealer indicated a new supplier due to this issue.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I had my VDIG replaced at the biginning of the season due to one of the buttons not working. So far absolutly no issues.

When you refer to boot cycle, are you referring to the initialization phase where the screen goers white and says "loading...................................... ... etc?

I too have always wondered about starting the engine before the VDIG has completed its loading.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4