Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
mramerman@gmail.com's Avatar
mramerman@gmail.com mramerman@gmail.com is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Location: Northwest
Posts: 339
VDIG goes dark... again...

Last season my VDIG on my 2010 x14v would go dark, shutting down the PP with it. It did this frequently, causing the driver to have to be extra on top of the throttle otherwise the boat would decelerate, loosing the skier.

Took the boat back to dealer. Dealer swapped VDIG. System ran fine balance of 2010 season.

Boat de-winterized two weeks ago, first trip out... VDIG goes dark--fortunately not shutting down PP, maintaining speed etc; however, boat needed to be shut down and restarted to reactivate VDIG.

Any thoughts before I haul back to dealer?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
vision's Avatar
vision vision is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Location: Cary NC, Lake Gaston
Posts: 1,071
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.
__________________
2008 X star, 2005 X2
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
mramerman@gmail.com's Avatar
mramerman@gmail.com mramerman@gmail.com is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Location: Northwest
Posts: 339
Still occuring

So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:26 PM
rtw_travel's Avatar
rtw_travel rtw_travel is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Boat: 2014 X-14V
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
Our 2008 VDIG would not go dark, but suddenly reboot (grey warm up screen). Did this through 3 VDIG replacements. Finally replaced the POS two blue top Optima batteries after 1 year for 2 Dekas. Never had another problem. Might be worth trying a new set of batteries.
I haven't had enough experience with my '12 yet, but what you say is absolutely true for my car. When the engine rpm drops to idle on a weak battery, the system voltage drops enough that a bunch of gauges stop doing their thing.

I wonder if you track the system voltage when running and see if there is a relationship between bus voltage and VDIG problems.
__________________
2014 X-14V
2012 X-14V (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
rtw_travel's Avatar
rtw_travel rtw_travel is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Boat: 2014 X-14V
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com View Post
So as I turn my key clockwise to "on" the instruments come alive, VDIG cycles and the stereo comes on. When I turn the key to "start" and back to "on" the VDIG goes dark and 25% of the time stays that way. The other 75% it flickers to life and all systems are normal.

In the 25% of the time the VDIG remains dark, you simply turn the engine off and repeat the cycle and it flickers to life.

This is my second VDIG and the same issue has come up. Has anyone else had this issue?

Does your VDIG go dark when you click to "start?"
On my car, a flaky ignition switch would cause this. However I don't know anything about MC switches to suggest if this is likely.
__________________
2014 X-14V
2012 X-14V (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
palm418's Avatar
palm418 palm418 is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Boat: Mastercraft X2
Location: Midwest
Posts: 24
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM
mramerman@gmail.com's Avatar
mramerman@gmail.com mramerman@gmail.com is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Location: Northwest
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm418 View Post
Did you ever figure out the root cause for the VDIG screen going dark when you start the motor? I have the same exact issues with my screen.
I think so? The dealer working with Mastercraft said this particular version of VDIG has a flaw --- there are two ways to start the boat to ensure the VDIG does not lock or go black and that is to ensure the unit has either fully cycled or hasn't cycled at all when starting. As you know, when the key goes from "on" to "start" back to "on" power is diverted from the dash / VDIG. If the unit is still in the middle of its boot cycle it will shut off.

Mastercraft's direction to avoid VDIG shut-off: ...either start very quick (before the cycle begins) or you hold the key in the "on" position until it fully cycles, then strat the boat.

I have to say, armed with this "new" information, my VDIG still (frequently) goes black, causing me to have to turn boat off and attempt to start again. Not sure if I am not quick enough or too quick.

To be honest, I am still skeptical ---my best guess is the power cut off is the issue regardless of timing of the key turn. The fix, finding constant power through the start sequence.

It is annoying and often inconvenient with a skier or boarder in the water; however, I can live with it. My worry is system failure down the road when the boat is solidly out of warranty (which it became this past July).

So Mastercraft---I am trusting you at the moment...

Now to get someone to fix my faulty "Reliable" trailer actuator....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 AM
2RLAKE's Avatar
2RLAKE 2RLAKE is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Location: Cincinnati OH & Lake Norris TN
Posts: 2,613
I have a 2008 X14 and just went through the same thing ... Complete black screen and no PP ... I ended up getting a new VDIG and that fixed the issue for me ... Third VDIG ... Love it when it works!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
mramerman@gmail.com's Avatar
mramerman@gmail.com mramerman@gmail.com is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Location: Northwest
Posts: 339
Vdig #3

I am on VDIG #2 and the issue remains. The dealer / MC was hesitant to install #3, claiming we would experience the same result.

Do you know if yours is the same unit or an updated model? My dealer indicated a new supplier due to this issue.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
bjames's Avatar
bjames bjames is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,106
I had my VDIG replaced at the biginning of the season due to one of the buttons not working. So far absolutly no issues.

When you refer to boot cycle, are you referring to the initialization phase where the screen goers white and says "loading...................................... ... etc?

I too have always wondered about starting the engine before the VDIG has completed its loading.
__________________
Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:27 AM.