Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-17-2015, 06:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Maristar 225 vrs
Minor Upholstery Work - Need Advice

I bought my boat 4 years ago and it had a relatively new interior. Now, although the vinyl is in good shape, the seams are starting to separate in a few places. Of course I'm worried that a poor quality thread was used.

I don't have any problem removing and reinstalling the skins off of their backing. I don't have any good referrals for shops that do this type of work.

I have an idea I wanted to run past you. When I dropped some of my wife's clothes off at an alteration shop, I noticed a big sewing machine in the back. So my questions are:

-do you think somebody that normally alters clothes could run a relatively simple seam along this vinyl?

-Would it be a good idea to re-sew the additional seams on the skin that have not split yet? Could they re-sew it in back of the existing seam without removing the existing seem?

-What kind of thread would you use? I was thinking I might buy the thread for them so I make sure they are using the correct stuff.

I was thinking I could save some $$$ this way and don't know of an upholstery shop I'm comfortable with. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2015, 06:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Anyone with an industrial sewing machine and ability can do it. What you need to do is buy heavy duty, exterior rated thread, as I am sure an alterations shop will not have something on hand. Obviously, buying bulk like the link below is cost prohibitive, but maybe you can find smaller quantities elsewhere.

http://www.sailrite.com/easearch#!Se...enara-Gore-Tex
Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
you could hand sew that too.. with a curved needle and heavy duty vinyl thread alot cheaper than tenara but it will get save some coin... Sodar's solution for thread is best. And to do it right you'll want to take the skin off. Moving something like vinyl usually requires a walking foot machine.. different seam but you'll get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5yZi9fzv_g
Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
A forum member here does this work at his place. Commercial upholstery sewing machine, experience, etc. Remove the cover, ship it out to Knoxville, TN and re-staple it when you get it back.

PM member; Seacup
66 Million Suckers.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Maristar 225 vrs
Great advice all. Appreciate it.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 MC Prostar 190
I appreciate the plug Waterlogged. He contacted me and I got him all fixed up and ready for summer. Thanks!

Tags
seam, sewing, upholstery