Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft
1999 LT1 - Trashed?

Hey all, new here...Why? Because I have been looking for a boat for awhile and found a deall on a 1999 MC with a trashed engine. Yep, the girl that owned it decided not to winterize it. Now it's at a MC dealer having a Jasper Marine longblock installed.

Question is, should I be nervous? The moter is being installed by a Mastercraft dealer, and comes with an 18 month warranty. The price is still below all other 1999's on the market....

What should I be nervous about - oh, the rest of the boat looks great!

Thanks!

JLO.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X45
I bought the same type of boat last year. 2000 Maristar 230 with 160 hrs. Original owners, husband and wife divorced, wife got the boat and didn't winterize it. It was in storage in a garage for three years. Block froze and cracked. The wife took it to a reputable dealer here in town on consignment and had a new long block installed. I put 80 hrs on it last year and other than the water pump going out, no issues. The interior and rest of the boat are in great shape. The steering cable was stiff when I bought it, so I put a new cable in it. I was a little skeptical at first, put it coming from a very reputable dealer, the low hours on the rest of the boat, the cosmetic condition, the warranty on the engine, and the reasonable price made it worth it in the end.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
TT Regular

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's a Pro Star 190.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If it's a qualified mechanic/dealer and a Jasper engine I wouldn't be worried. Engine replacement is more straight forward than major electrical issues IMO. Besides, there's only 2 major mechanical components on the boat. Engine and trans and 1 of them will be brand new.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
You should be fine with the 18 month warranty and the service being performed at a MasterCraft dealership....

I would feel pretty safe in making this transaction.....

Send us pictures of that 190 PLEASE!!!

Hook Em' Horns
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Jasper engines are top of the line. I was a rep for Jasper for years and have a Jasper engine in my truck with over 250,000 miles on it without a problem.

I would also replace the exhaust manifolds. When I got my boat, the engine had been replaced for the same reason, but they used the original exhaust manifolds and it turns out one was also damaged as well.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncotw View Post
You should be fine with the 18 month warranty and the service being performed at a MasterCraft dealership....

I would feel pretty safe in making this transaction.....

Send us pictures of that 190 PLEASE!!!
Havent bought it yet and wont untill the engine is replaced. After that, there will be pics!!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Jasper engines are top of the line. I was a rep for Jasper for years and have a Jasper engine in my truck with over 250,000 miles on it without a problem.

I would also replace the exhaust manifolds. When I got my boat, the engine had been replaced for the same reason, but they used the original exhaust manifolds and it turns out one was also damaged as well.
Can the exhaust manifolds be tested? They said they were going to pressure test the heads, checking the valve seals I guess? I know little about engines. If there is a test, I would like to ensure it takes place!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
Can the exhaust manifolds be tested? They said they were going to pressure test the heads, checking the valve seals I guess? I know little about engines. If there is a test, I would like to ensure it takes place!
You said they were installing a long block, which comes with new or rebuilt heads on it. Make sure you get it that way.
The manifolds can be pressure tested by a radiator shop, but since they are 12 years old now would be the time to install new ones.

Change your trans fluid, check the trans oil cooler to make sure it's ok too.
The boat sounds like a good one, your going to love the way direct drives handle if you've never had one before. Good luck and welcome!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
I don't know of a way to test the exhaust manifolds, though a person could make a plate for either end with fitting.

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***