Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Krypt hlcd 8 in speakers

I was thinking of replacing my jl audio tower speakers with the krypt hlcd 8 inch speakers. Are these a direct fit? Are they going to be a significant improvement. I have a jl audio hd600 amp powering them 150rms x4. My cockpit speakers are blown so I was going to put the tower speakers in the cockpit. Would that be okay. The krypt speakers are on sale. Are they high quality?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Dunno about the Krypts, but it was explained to me that the JL tower speakers are designed to be used in an enclosure (can) whereas the cockpit drivers are designed for open air.
I couldn't "see" any difference, but they are a different part #.
Throw a couple in and see how they sound I guess.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by venetrex View Post
I was thinking of replacing my jl audio tower speakers with the krypt hlcd 8 inch speakers. Are these a direct fit?
There is a thread about the dropping the Bullet 770 HP into the Mastercraft cans. The hole pattern doesn't line up so there is some drilling and tapping involved from what I remember. I found the thread:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=24950
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by venetrex View Post
I was thinking of replacing my jl audio tower speakers with the krypt hlcd 8 inch speakers. Are these a direct fit? Are they going to be a significant improvement. I have a jl audio hd600 amp powering them 150rms x4. My cockpit speakers are blown so I was going to put the tower speakers in the cockpit. Would that be okay. The krypt speakers are on sale. Are they high quality?
If the JL can is a 7.7 they will fit. The krypt hlcd is an awesome speaker! I have six on my tower! The JLs should be fine in the cockpit, just depends if you like the sound.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
The Krypts are a decent speaker. I have 2. Sound great and were a steal at the price I got them for. They are clear and crisp and have great sound

You definitely get what you pay for in their design for cutting costs. The cross overs are not sealed and the grilles are flimsy. Sound quality(the most important if you ask me) is great though. Customer service from Krypt is soso whereas Bullets is top notch.

I got the Krypts when they first came out to replace my MB Quarts on my tower. Again I got them for a smoking deal as a group buy to get some of their product out there. If you are looking for the cheapest way for HLCD sound they are the way to go. However if you are looking for a bit better fit/finish and customer service the Bullet Hollow Points can't be beat. Just kind of up to you on what you prefer. I am not sure how they fit the MC Cans, but I just had to redrill my hole pattern in my aftermarket cans and they fit perfectly.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
I'll give my recommendation for the Bullet's, even though that's not what you asked per se, but I have heard too that they will fit in the factory cans and sound amazing. I can't compare them to the Krypts because I have never heard the Krypts but you can't ask for better sound than the Bullet's. They are a local company to me and I have met the owner who is a really good guy with a very good reputation.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

I went with Bullets

I ordered the Bullets from Earmark and am in the process of installing them. I did not want to drill my cans. I took the adjusting ring out, which is what the factory speakers bolk to. 2 holes lined up and 2 did not. I bought Aluminum nuts that look like rivets at my local hardware store. I dilled the slot the right size and the rivet like nut fit tight. I used some epoxy to keep it from spinning. I then files everything down clean. This is definately the better way, you can leave the cans on the tower. I will post some pics
Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225 LT-1 (the SS Overkill)
As per David @ Earmark's recommendation, I ordered the Bullet 770 Neo's (the new ones - sometime called the 'Signature Series') that are a drop in fit to the 2005 and up MC/Gere Marie speaker cans.
Supposed to have the same screw orientation as the JL's... no drilling!
They have only been out for a few weeks now.
The older Bullet 770 have a different mounting screw setup, hence the need for drilling.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
jesus do you think you have enough speakers on that tower? But seriously how loud could you possibly need?

I have 1 set of WetSound Pro 485 (HLCD horn, 2 8" speakers) you can hear it across the lake perfectly fine at 3/4 the volume. Just sitting on the boat if you turn up that load while not pulling a ride, its basically unbearable...

Maybe those 6 = 1 Pro 485 pod? I dunno but that seems like excessive overkill lol...
Old 05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

TCS in boat

I forgot to mention I put the JL audio TCS in the boat and they sound fine.