Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2015, 01:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu 20 MXZ
Looking Into The X20

My first post to this forum although I have followed it while I have belonged to the Malibu Crew.

I have a 2013 Malibu 20 MXZ and I am working on arranging a water test of a 2015 X20 for this weekend.

To be honest I like a lot of things about my 20 MXZ. It's my first V-drive wake board/surf boat after changing from a 2000 Ski Nautique. But my interest now, at my age, is surfing and I am not convinced that the MXZ with surf gate is giving me enough wave, because I continue to struggle to stay in the pocket. It may just be me. I know I have a good board that is big enough for me (I weigh 175lbs), a Liquid Force Nose Rider (5'2" long). At this rate of learning I will NEVER get to use Surf Gate to cross over to the other side. My 10 year old son (70 lbs) can surf behind the boat with no problems (not crossing yet either).

So, my thought is, is Gen 2 in a X20 going to be a substantially better wave and will I be able to tell the difference immediately. I don't know. I will see this weekend. I met Zane at a boat show this winter and he told me I would see the difference.

Any quick thoughts about what I should look for and ask when I test the boat this weekend? It's a lot of effort for the sales people and me to arrange this test so I want to get the most out of it. My son and I will be bringing our own boards to the test.

Thanks for your input and opinions.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
How Much weight are you running in your MXZ?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
TT Newbie

The full hard ballast (4 tanks) plus the 2 rear locker plug and play bags, which should be about 2800 pounds total. And then I have 400 pounds of steel shot, 80 pounds in the front pickle fork and 320 by the rear seat.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:07 PM
MC Devotee

Oh, just wait till you get behind the 20. You'll be pushing up into the back of the boat. Surf wake is amazing and steep, just like I like it.

PS. You need a smaller board for 175lbs. / 4.8" tops.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20; 2014 X10
You'll love it. Just make sure you surf it and drive it while your son is surfing with full ballast so you know how it will handle. Play around with the touchscreen. Crawl around in all of the storage compartments to see if it will work for you. I have an X20, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Oh, just wait till you get behind the 20. You'll be pushing up into the back of the boat. Surf wake is amazing and steep, just like I like it.

PS. You need a smaller board for 175lbs. / 4.8" tops.
Actually, one of my issue right now is I find my best pocket too close to the boat. The tip of my board a couple of feet behind the swim platform is where I can hold it the longest. As soon as try to get back a little further I loose it and can' regain it.

My son's Ronix Koal Fish is 4'8" (I think) and I can get up on it, but right now with my talent level it feels loose to me.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-Star 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleX20 View Post
Actually, one of my issue right now is I find my best pocket too close to the boat. The tip of my board a couple of feet behind the swim platform is where I can hold it the longest. As soon as try to get back a little further I loose it and can' regain it.
I've noticed on my buddy's Axis that the pocket is not far at all back from the platform with surfgate. Everyone who rides it is constantly getting pushed up into the platform. We've gone out with 8-10 people a few times and there's at least 10-12 times a day where someone bails as they freak out when the board is on the platform.

We had a couple of newbie watersports people up this weekend and tried surfing for the first time behind the X-Star because water was too choppy to wakeboard. I was amazed the difference in where the pocket was. I had to try to get up to the platform when surfing and was really confused at having to stay 8-10 feet back from the boat for the pocket and good push. I don't have Gen 2 on my boat but I bet it extends and makes that pocket a lot better.

Last edited by k2rider; 08-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MC X2, MCX- Sold
IMO the Mastercraft gen 2 boats as a whole surf way better than any surfgate boat I have been behind. On the surfgate boats I experienced a very small pocket and the wave was not very clean. Pretty "washy . With the gen 2 MC boats I have surfed (X10, X20, X23) the pocket is not only way longer but is also a lot cleaner of a wave.

Currently planning for... A new boat.. TBD
2010 MC X2, MCX-sold
2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison..
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 x-30, 6.2, gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleX20 View Post

My son's Ronix Koal Fish is 4'8" (I think) and I can get up on it, but right now with my talent level it feels loose to me.
The bigger the board the easier it should be to keep the wave...so a shorter board (all else equal) is going to hurt, not help your situation.

From a surfgate and Gen2 standpoint, the physics of the Gen 2 system makes more sense to me, as gen2 pushes water down and back into the wave, where surfgate pushes water away from the wave...allowing for a longer wave, but removing some volume of water. That's my theory anyhow.

I also think that surfgate is not as adjustable as gen2, it is in a fixed position vertically, so more or less weight in the boat causes the gate to ride higher or lower in the water, which I have to imagine effects performance...and also got it the nickname "spraygate" Gen2, being vertically deployed and adjustable up or down is not effected by this.

I have taken out several surfgate owners and when looking at the wave they were not all that impressed, but after surfing it they were singing a different tune.

The X-20 has a great wave... but I found it was a little touchy on where you put weight, so make sure the dealer has it set up right and move around a little bit so you get a feel for how the wave is affected by shifting weight.

Also make sure it has a powerplant that works for you, I would think a 6.0 or 6.2 liter, I am not sure if you can even order it with a 5.7, but for me that wouldn't cut it...but everyone is different.

I am 200 pounds and I ride a 5'2" surf style board... I was easily 25 feet back on the X20 wave.... its the longest wave I have ever ridden where you can actually ride back to the curl and still have enough push to recover. Other than that I would say, as someone else suggested, play with all the controls and storage. They are both quality boats, I wouldn't turn down either one if someone was giving me one.... so most of it boils down to if you like the look, feel and performance.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X25, 2013, 6.2 Ilmor (sold), X20, 2015, 6.2
Traded X25 for X20 for better surf wave. We are not disappointed. I was surfing too close to the X25's platform and can go back a good distance on the 20. The boat is sensitive to weight movement and tab position. You will be impressed with the wave however the bow does ride a little high.