Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 NXT20
Official NXT Bimini retrofit thread

I figured we needed a thread to get MC to notice and take care of this!

A little history, the 2015 NXT 20/22 boats come with a Bimini that while functional, by most accounts looks crappy as well as has pretty poor aft coverage. Me personally, it's the only gripe I have about my NXT20.

Fast forward 2016 and the new boats have a revised design. I posted previously speculating that they would because ads had new tabs for mounting, but didn't show the Bimini itself. But we can now confirm the new Bimini is out.

The bad news is MC has yet to provide a retro kit. It appears the official word at this time is drilling and tapping with precision is required to mount it. Thus it's not suitable for DIY. Several members have contacted their dealers including me with a similar response from MC.

My dealer, Boat Town in Austin TX, is currently working with MC on options. I have even suggested a tower swap/buyback or even buying a new tower.

Chime in if you have info or have done a DIY retrofit! Or correct me where I got it wrong.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 NXT20
This is what the new Bimini looks like:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 855
Size:  143.0 KB
Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 NXT 22
I am flabbergasted by the fact that they are welding a piece to the tower just to hinge a bimini...a bracket clamping it on the tower would suffice...you can just use a simple setup, just like a speaker clamp and have the bimini hinge around that...no welding needed. it is just a bimini! If there was one complaint I have about my NXT is that the bimini's are just an afterthought.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft NXT20 2015 5.7
I am also interested in getting the new bimini on my 2015 NXT 20. Called two dealers they have both said that at this time it is not possible.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Anyone have a close up of the mount? Seems like it would be an easy retrofit...

What's the tube thickness on those towers? 3"? Are they circular or more an oblong oval shape around where the bimini mounts?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft NXT20 2015 5.7
I don't have any pics of mount. Yes, 3"
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2015 NXT 20
I hope at MC is actually working on a solution for this. After all, we were among the first to purchase these boats! I have to think that in some way we have helped market this line to a broader audience by putting these boats on the water. Drilling and tapping a piece of metal should not be that complex for any MC dealer! Could they not provide a template in the retrofit kit?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 205 DD
Here's the best pictures I got, don't have one up close. My dealer should be getting some in early May and I'll try and get an up close pic.

http://imgur.com/a/Yhkfu
Old 04-22-2016, 11:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
Here's the best pictures I got, don't have one up close. My dealer should be getting some in early May and I'll try and get an up close pic.

my gosh is that the way the bimini will look when not in use? of so that is horrible looking.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:49 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post

Good pictures. A few of these in each area that the bimini poles mount to the tower would be what I'd start with:

http://www.amazon.com/Krypt-Towers-W...ni+tower+clamp

Then you just need to make some kind of bimini mount that you can screw to the clamps above. Maybe even get your standard bimini mount, drill a hole in the middle of it, and attach it with some kind of all screw that's counter sunk into the bimini mount to keep it flush?

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Bimini-Top-Dec...s=bimini+mount

Then figure out a way to make those two pieces into a single piece. A free weekend, a case of beer, and a couple friends, and I'm sure you could come up with something.