Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Xstar
Stereo install from scratch, need advice

OK been reading alot and need some advice. After my boat got everything stolen out of it except for the tower speakers (thank GOD), I am starting from scratch. i need to run 3 amps. A 800 and 2 400s. not sure what to get yet. Anywho I still have my perko switch in place but Ive been reading alot on Blue seas. Heres the deal should i tear that out and start everything over? I would love to run 2 batteries but I was running 3. Can I get by running 2, one for start and one for 3 amps? or would that not give it long enough to play music. Should i run 3? 1 starting and 2 in parrellel for amps. Would I need to upgrade alternator then? which in turn would mean replacing alternator wires. I guess If anyone has a solid idea of what a great sysytem to do where I could run those amps and sit for hours and still start my boat would be appreciated. Ill be buying new batteries and speakers and subs. Fun project at a bad time! thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I only run 2 batteries with 3 amps about 2400W total with one dedicated to the amps, other to the start/boat functions. Never had it go dead, but I've never sat for more than an hour or so without running the boat.
Blue Sea ACR works well for linking the batteries for alternator charging. Alt wire ont he newer boats is pretty heavy guage, but may need to up size if you go with a bigger alt.
If you're really sucking that much juice though you can't rely on the alt for charging. You'll need a good charger to get the batteries re plenished at the end of the day.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
What is "a 800 and 400"?

Also, you say you ran three but are now concerned with needing to upgrade if you run 3?

800 watts of low end draws less than 800w of quality equipment.
Electronically switched units like Alpine PDX and JL will draw less than A/B and D amps.

Regardless really, if you are going to sit and play, 2 dedicated 27/31 series plus a start are the minimum IMO.
Volatge will stay higher and batteries will not be taxed as great, extending life (assuming same play time and volume as with one battery)

When the batteries start out full, you should be able to run all three and not compromise the alternator with no load.

When leaving the Cove after a long day of playing, I would not try to throw a charge to the discharged batteries let alone all three, especially when idling. If you can turn it to 2 and start once you are ready to throttle up and not play the stereo high volume, you might be safe with charging via alt.
Check it after about 10 min, if you burn your fingers, you are probably in the danger range and should wait to get back to the dock and charge them properly.

I junked the standard marine chargers in favor of an Iota power supply. The 90IQ charges quick then floats smart. When I am in the cove, plug in to a genny and rock all day

Regardless, alway hook up to some sort of charger to top off and maintain batteries when running a larger stereo.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
What is "a 800 and 400"?

Also, you say you ran three but are now concerned with needing to upgrade if you run 3?

800 watts of low end draws less than 800w of quality equipment.
Electronically switched units like Alpine PDX and JL will draw less than A/B and D amps.

Regardless really, if you are going to sit and play, 2 dedicated 27/31 series plus a start are the minimum IMO.
Volatge will stay higher and batteries will not be taxed as great, extending life (assuming same play time and volume as with one battery)

When the batteries start out full, you should be able to run all three and not compromise the alternator with no load.

When leaving the Cove after a long day of playing, I would not try to throw a charge to the discharged batteries let alone all three, especially when idling. If you can turn it to 2 and start once you are ready to throttle up and not play the stereo high volume, you might be safe with charging via alt.
Check it after about 10 min, if you burn your fingers, you are probably in the danger range and should wait to get back to the dock and charge them properly.

I junked the standard marine chargers in favor of an Iota power supply. The 90IQ charges quick then floats smart. When I am in the cove, plug in to a genny and rock all day

Regardless, alway hook up to some sort of charger to top off and maintain batteries when running a larger stereo.
A 800 and 2 400s was an 800 watt amp and (2) 400 watt amps. Im thinking of just a high cca start battery and a good deepcylce for the stereo. And was wondering if the one battery would be enough or should i run two deepcylces for the stereo? Ive heard alot of just running 2 and ive heard running three. Thanks for the reply