Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Hull replacement

Mastercraft has agreed to replace the hull on my 2002-209. After purchasing the boat new last summer, cracks appeared in the gel-coat. After the short Minnesota season, I had the cracks repaired during the winter. Upon getting the boat back this spring, I immediately noticed color differences where the repairs were made, and more cracks in the gel coat. By working with my dealer, MC has agreed to replace the bottom hull -has anyone heard of having this done?

I am concerned about the future value of the boat and also about any future problems.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:10 PM
offaxis7

I have heard of it and seen it done. They will build you a new hull, lift out the deck/engine/etc. of you current boat, and drop it into the new one. Works just fine... don't worry too much..just be happy the are stepping up to the plate

It will not have any affect on the value of the boat...it will be the same hull as yours.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
peason....where abouts were the cracks?????

i have some on my 2004-x9 and assumed something must have hit it!!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by peason
Mastercraft has agreed to replace the hull on my 2002-209. After purchasing the boat new last summer, cracks appeared in the gel-coat. After the short Minnesota season, I had the cracks repaired during the winter. Upon getting the boat back this spring, I immediately noticed color differences where the repairs were made, and more cracks in the gel coat. By working with my dealer, MC has agreed to replace the bottom hull -has anyone heard of having this done?

I am concerned about the future value of the boat and also about any future problems.
actually it will affect the value of the boat, it will be AT LEAST one year newer. It's great to know that MC is stepping up to the plate on this one, they could easily say no. GO MASTERCRAFT!!!
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Sammy Duvall 190 EVO
I would think if you receive a new lower hull, your HID (hull identification number) will obviously change and since the last two digits of the HID indicate the year of the boat, you'll now have a new boat. You'll go from having an 02 to probably an 05!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:11 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
After looking at the Factory Tour on the MasterCraft website it sounds to me like you will have almost a new boat. I would almost guess they could have given you a new boat with less expense to them.
You cant beat that deal though.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:49 AM
Leroy

It's the way they build them. Just stainless screws and the two parts pretty much separate (plus a few cables, and moving the motor over.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sammy Duvall 190 - LT1
Mastercraft replaced my hull in '92 on my '91 PS190.

I purchased it new (had 80 hours on it as it was a promo tournament boat - but never titled), and during the '92 season, I started getting water coming in around the through hull water pickup. The fiberglass started separating around the flange, and the leak got more aggressive. After extensive research and discussion with the dealer, the boat went back to the plant. They found that one of the carriage bolts on the trailer bunk had lost its nut and had lifted up on its side. It punctured the glass, but didn't go all the way through the hull. The water was being injected between the layers of fiberglass and sought out the weakest point - being the water pickup hole. Since the hole was where the bunk was, it was very hard to find on the trailer.

Anyway, they more than took care of me. I guess it could have been questionable that I should have maintained the trailer bunks and tightened the nuts on the bolts, but they questioned nothing - just replaced the entire hull. They actually pulled the '91 molds out of inventory (I think they were laying '93 boats - since it was July of '92), so that I could keep the same Hull ID and model year. It came back with the same numbers. It was also kind of cool, because they cut out my license numbers and returned them to me on the piece of fiberglass from the old hull. I still have it.

They put new in carpet, new cover, new prop (apparently the cover and prop disappeared somehow from the dealer to the plant), shrink wrapped it, and put it on a flat bed and hand delivered it from the factory right to my door. It was just like a brand new boat. All this in less than 2 weeks since it was in the dead middle of ski season.

From that day, I knew I would always be a Mastercraft customer. In '99, I bought a new Sammy 190, and absolutely love it - yes even more than the worshiped '91 hull (Angels singing in the background). I can't imagine too many companies in any industry would go that far to satisfy thier customer - let alone just the boating industry.

I notice that all the current trailers have lock washers and double nuts on the bunks. I often wonder if my problem directly resulted in that engineering change.

OK now men (and women) Go out and check your NUTS.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:59 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Good to know.

/off to check my nuts.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88' MC Prostar
Good idea to check my nuts!!
I'll go do that