Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
Help Needed!!! --- Tower Speakers and a 209/X9 Cover

I am thinking about upgrading my tower speakers... I currently have the ones that originally came with the boat. I have two B 50 Boss Accessories tower speakers and I have two Clarion APX 400 4m amps running my tower speakers, and interior Clarion speakers. I do not want to change amps or anything... just swap out tower speakers... what would be a nice upgrade compatible change out for these?

Also I need a 209 boat cover... or something compatible to it.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Lakeside09; 04-25-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Also the tower speakers will need to fit a Zero Flex tower.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9 MCX
Boat covers for a 209 are pretty easy to locate, but you should look for an X9 cover because you have the tower. It's funny you mention this, I just ordered a new cover for my X9 and it's being shipped now. So I can't speak to the quality yet. The cost for sunbrella fabric was $640, the cheaper fabric was around $360. But it's supposed to be an exact fit for the boat with tower.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Anyone have any suggestions on Tower speakers... I am thinking I might need a bigger amp too just for the tower speakers... my boat speakers sound great but I can't hear my tower speakers while boarding. This needs to change quick so I need some opinions on what to do... ?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
You mention that you want to be able to hear the speakers while riding and to do that you really need to go with a HLCD speaker. Anything else and you will likely be disappointed. It is a bit of a slipery slope because HLCD speakers aren't cheap and they require a lot of power to perform correctly. Without the power you are wasting your money on the speakers.

There are many companies that make HLCDs. I personally like Wetsounds. Their product and customer service are second to none. A pair of Pro80s would do the job nicely. 2 pairs would be killer. You would want at least 200 watts RMS of clean power going to EACH SPEAKER. Which means the amp could get pricey. Also HLCD speakers quite often overpower the boat speakers and / or sound a bit too bright for most peoples tastes when they are up close. So that leads a lot of people to buy a equalizer like the Wetsounds WS 420 to dial back the tower speakers or at least warm them up a bit when you are just chillin in the boat. You see what I mean by a slippery slope?

I used to use the APX 400m at 50wats x 4 for my in boat speakers and it was jsut OK. I know it says it will do 190 watts bridged into 2 channels at 4 ohms but I am not sure how accurate that is and if it will actually keep up with a set of HLCDs like the pro80s. Someone else here might come by with some actual experince with it on a pair of HLCDs, but I would probably consider upgrading it.

On the flip side you could go with regular speakers instead of HLCD. You'd get good sound in and around the boat, and probably for surfing. However for wakeboarding you will likely be disappointed depending on your expectations.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

If I didn't want to go the HLCD route what would be the best route to take.... ?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here is what I want and let's see if someone can give me an idea of how to achieve the goal...

I want to be able to hear my music while boarding but I don't want it so loud that it is annoying. I would like to only have two tower speakers and I don't have a problem with upgrading one of the amps to produce enough power. Adding two more tower speakers would be possible but I would like to stay away from that...

Here is my current Factory set up...

4 in board Clarion speakers
1 Clarion Sub
2 Boss B 50 Accessories Tower speakers
two 400 watt Clarion marine amps

What do I need to do here... I am not looking to be the loudest... just the best bang for my buck.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside09 View Post
I want to be able to hear my music while boarding but I don't want it so loud that it is annoying.
You'd be surprised what music volume it takes to overcome the sound of the wind while boarding and the sound of the boat. Loud enough to hear while boarding means that someone will probably find it anoying.

Quote:
I want to be able to hear my music while boarding.....
I would like to only have two tower speakers....
Only way to do this well is HLCD. I can tell you don't want to believe this, but with a single set of regular speakers, you might be able to tell that music is playing in the boat when your boarding but that is about it. The boarder won't really be able to enjoy the music, even thought it will be blasting the people in the boat. Been there done that.

I am not trying to rain on your parade here, just honestly trying to help you. I'd hate for someone to spend a bunch of money and be disappointed in the end. Either your expectations or your strategy need to change.

Quote:

Here is my current Factory set up...

4 in board Clarion speakers
1 Clarion Sub
2 Boss B 50 Accessories Tower speakers
two 400 watt Clarion marine amps

What do I need to do here... I am not looking to be the loudest... just the best bang for my buck.
If you don't like HLCD, you could go with the 4 regular tower speakers solution (2 sets) and run a bunch of power to them. You might be satisfied with that. The far field performance (wakeboarding) won't be as good a 1 set of Pro80s but it might be acceptable. However, the near field performance (in and around the boat) might actually be quite a bit better. You will need a lot of power though, and 2 sets of regular tower speakers may actually cost more than 1 set of pro80s. Using one of your amps to run 4 tower speakers would only give you 50watts to each. You could use both amps for 4 tower speakers and bridge them, but then you'd need to buy new amps for the boat speakers. So you need to buy amps either way.

You could start by checking how things are wired now. You could bridge the APX 400m into two channels and run those to the tower. Then run the boat speakers off 2 channels from the other amp, and bridge the remaining 2 channels for the sub. If it isn't hooked up like this you might not be making the most of those amps.

What I would do would be to buy 2 Pro80s , and a new amp for them possibly a syn2. Then use your other amps for the in boat speakers and sub. I'd consider upgrading the sub too.

Last edited by shunra; 04-26-2011 at 08:15 PM.