Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Possible answers?

Yesterday and today when i backed the boat into the water. I turned the key and it cranked, but would not start. until I kept the key on for at least a minute or more. then it started.
Yesterday i checked the fuel pressure and it was good. at key on, starting and running.
It seemed like the starter might be a little slower than usual. and as I held the key in the cranking position it would gradually start spinning faster then crank.
After the first crank( running) it did like it was suposed to the rest of the day.

Any Ideas what is causeing this delay in starting?

Could it be my starter is not turning fast enough?

Thanks for any responses...

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Check hour terminals on the starter and assure you don't have one corroded???
Old 03-13-2011, 09:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 02 ProStar 197TT "Caddy H2O" & 1980 MC Stars & Stripes, "Boss Hoss"
Depending on the boat or engine, it could be the starter solenoid or starter relay.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem_pss308 View Post
Yesterday and today when i backed the boat into the water. I turned the key and it cranked, but would not start. until I kept the key on for at least a minute or more. then it started.
Yesterday i checked the fuel pressure and it was good. at key on, starting and running.
It seemed like the starter might be a little slower than usual. and as I held the key in the cranking position it would gradually start spinning faster then crank.
After the first crank( running) it did like it was suposed to the rest of the day.

Any Ideas what is causeing this delay in starting?

Could it be my starter is not turning fast enough?

Thanks for any responses...
How long did you crank it? If you cranked for a minute, and it seems you did from your post, you're beating the crap out of your battery and starter.

What was the fuel pressure at key ON/engine off? Did you check it at idle? You should check it at Key ON/Engine OFF, idle, 2000 RPM and WOT. It needs to be done at all 4 because you may be OK at idle or key off and it may be low at the other two.

If this happens again, turn the key to on (don't crank) and listen for a buzzing sound that should last for about 3 seconds. After you hear this, turn the key OFF for more than 5 seconds and turn the key to ON again (don't crank) and make sure it buzzes again. Crank it and see if it starts. If it does, it's likely that your fuel pump is weak or the filter is clogged. Before you try it again, use the fuel pressure gauge's purge valve and clear tube to take a fuel sample of about 6 ounces. Let it sit for a while and look for water droplets settling out.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Red face

That's a great post Jim! Perfect example on why TT is valuable
Old 03-13-2011, 09:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, '03, MCX 350
Fuel injected, right? Good voltage on battery?

PROPS to: www.skidim.com
Old 03-14-2011, 09:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
How long did you crank it? If you cranked for a minute, and it seems you did from your post, you're beating the crap out of your battery and starter.

What was the fuel pressure at key ON/engine off? Did you check it at idle? You should check it at Key ON/Engine OFF, idle, 2000 RPM and WOT. It needs to be done at all 4 because you may be OK at idle or key off and it may be low at the other two.

If this happens again, turn the key to on (don't crank) and listen for a buzzing sound that should last for about 3 seconds. After you hear this, turn the key OFF for more than 5 seconds and turn the key to ON again (don't crank) and make sure it buzzes again. Crank it and see if it starts. If it does, it's likely that your fuel pump is weak or the filter is clogged. Before you try it again, use the fuel pressure gauge's purge valve and clear tube to take a fuel sample of about 6 ounces. Let it sit for a while and look for water droplets settling out.

Thanks Jim.

I did check the fuel pump at the four times. it is holding like it is supposed to. the first time it did it. That was my first thought. I keep a fuel pressure gauge in the boat now.

I did not take a sample of the fuel.

I will this week.

I changed the filter at the begining of last summer. But might do it again.

Havent checked voltage at the starter. will do that this week.

Since I have had the boat. (2) years. it has been slow to crank ( turn Over ) compared to my old Prostar. with the GT-40 351, This one has the LTR 350,

Thanks for all the responses.

Will tell what I find out.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
This forum will keep you grounded!

By the way... that's something you should check. The ground cable on the engine block ( ;
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
My 1995 ProStar190 (TBI 350) had a similar problem…slow cranking and delayed start. Perhaps not quite as much delay as you describe. It would start but crank slowly all day.
Put the Battery on the charger over night…the next day…same thing. Turned out that the alternator had a failed diode. The battery was discharging through the alternator almost as fast as it would charge. Replaced the alternator…problem solved. You can check this by checking the key off battery current draw. Disconnect the alternator and check it again. There will likely be a small parasite current keeping the stereo and other computer memories alive but it should not be more that a few milliamps. In my case about 10mA.

Last edited by setidball; 03-14-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem_pss308 View Post
Thanks Jim.

I did check the fuel pump at the four times. it is holding like it is supposed to. the first time it did it. That was my first thought. I keep a fuel pressure gauge in the boat now.

I did not take a sample of the fuel.

I will this week.

I changed the filter at the begining of last summer. But might do it again.

Havent checked voltage at the starter. will do that this week.

Since I have had the boat. (2) years. it has been slow to crank ( turn Over ) compared to my old Prostar. with the GT-40 351, This one has the LTR 350,

Thanks for all the responses.

Will tell what I find out.
I wouldn't worry about the cranking speed compared with a different brand of engine because they don't use the same starter. If you have a timing light, put it on the #1 plug wire and verify that you have spark as soon as you start cranking. If not, look at the safety switch or neutral safety switch as possible causes.