Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-26-2011, 02:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 ProStar 190/454HO
Thanks RadarDad - you're right on the money - except the previous owner really neglected the boat - so all the maintenance just piled up :-)

Took pictures of the work I did the other night - electrical wiring just starboard of the observer seat, under the bow, subwoofer resting in the bow for now, still trying decide on a final location for it. Amps on the drivers side. Also installed the new alternator (DB electrical provided me a 3-wire model based on my engine make/model - for reference, it was an ADR0106 - 140 amp 3 wire marine alternator.
Attached Images

Last edited by jconover; 06-26-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Oh yeah - totally disassembled and reassembled the dashboard, putting in the new panels (which I found here in a thread from maybe 6 months ago). Looks sharp.

Question - is there a way to disassemble an MC speedo and somehow attach the chromed ring to the PP? The PP looks so out of place next to the factory speedo
Attached Images

Last edited by jconover; 06-26-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Kids are eager to go skiing. I can't blame them.

Finished wiring up the stereo. Discovered that I can just barely get the boat in the garage with the tower down (the legs of the tower brush the weather stripping on the garage door as she goes in). This is the downside of mounting the speakers on top of the tower. But the alternative is having them hang down where i'm going to clock myself. Not going to do that.

Also discovered there is no way in hell that I can lift the tower up into the upright position by myself. That kinda sucks.

Put the teak back on the rear end of the boat. Looks nice.

Also discovered that it is very important to replace the safety breakaway switch when trying to start the engine... (why the HECK is there not 12V on the ignition post at the engine?! It's there on the key...not in the cable... Oh, duh! Son of a gun, that was an hour wasted). Engine fired right up. Investment in carb rebuilt last summer was well worth it.

My newly installed exhaust hoses are leaking at the hose clamps. This does not make me happy. I ordered up some T-bolt clamps to apply a little more beef to the hoses, since I've got the standard clamps torqued down as much as they will take, and i'm still getting water seepage. (Anyone else have experience with this?)

Next up: Reinstalling graphics.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Thats awesome dude!

Congrats on the hard work paying off.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 prostar 190 454
J- the MC speedo ring will come off without taking out the speedo itself. Just work it out carefully.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hmm thanks - that worked great. Now I just have to find a good way to attach it to the PP - the old ring was hot-glued on, but the new ring doesnt seem to sit nicely if i try and hot glue it. maybe i'm using the wrong glue, it is setting really fast.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Looks great!!

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Great Job!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconover View Post
My newly installed exhaust hoses are leaking at the hose clamps. This does not make me happy. I ordered up some T-bolt clamps to apply a little more beef to the hoses, since I've got the standard clamps torqued down as much as they will take, and i'm still getting water seepage. (Anyone else have experience with this?)

Next up: Reinstalling graphics.
A common issue, in particular at the transom connection. I double clamped each hose and this still did not stop the entire leak. Post up where you got the T-clamps, please. I got all of the other clamp connections to seal nicely.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Any turbo/supercharger supply shop will have these. I get all my plumbing from CX Racing and that includes a variety of T clamps.

Check them out!

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-

Last edited by 03geetee; 07-04-2011 at 10:12 AM.