Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
Newbie--1982 Stars and Stripes Restoration

My first post on the site, though I been checking out team talk for a couple months since I picked up my next project up off Craigs list...and it's time to get to work!!

I have been skiing behind and loving my 1962 Corsair 15' vintage circle racer v-drive for 20 yrs now. Being into vintage boats, bikes and cars, etc., I told myself that the only way I would step it up to a "modern" competition ski boat is if I locate a stars and stripes Mastercraft...well.....I found it.....

Great Site.

As I get into this sucker...I might have a few questions for you guys...hope guys don't mind lending a hand.

Picked up this 1982 with a siezed engine, but for a 30 year old boat...in pretty damn good shape!!, Trailer isn't half bad either....

Not too hot on the brown gel coat, so I may very well be getting into some paint work.

Since purchasing the boat a few months ago, I have a rebuilt engine ready to go....just need to transfer the marine parts off the old engine (will be working this part of the project this week)

I Removed all the interior, engine, gas tank. After further inspection, I have uncovered a few issues....
-1- Floor is "spongy" under gas tank area. At first glance, stringers look ok, but we will have to see after further inspection---Get ready for floor replacement photos.

-2- I noticed that when wiggling the rudder had some excessive movement left and right while holding the steering wheel. I traced the problem to slop in the bracket that holds the steering cable inplace before it attaches to the rudder assembly (see attached photo) Anyone know where to source a replacement/updated bracket?

-3- Question: I was talking to a fellow who mentioned that this engine may have what he called a "reverse water pump". I'm not quite sure about this. My impression was that standard marine waterpump is the right one...

Keep tuned in for pictures of the restoration process....
Here are some pictures....enjoy...(I hope I figured out how to attach them...if not I will try again)

thanks... Bill Wishart
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
Your boat looks like its in nice shape. It has some traits of an 83. The mirrors on most 82's folded down into the glove box. It also looks like you have access to the bow from the passenger seat, did the seat back have a hinge on it to slide skis under the bow. The 82's had an open bow but you had to access it from the drivers area.
Try discount inboard marine for the steering cable parts.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
Looks good bud but please don't paint until you have atleast brought the gel coat back to life. There are several threads here you can search on how to go about this. It's WAY cheaper than painting and the rewards are unreal!!!!!

Get that motor going!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Sweet old ride.

Looks like you are fully equipped to make that classic SS sing again.

PS - What kind of race car is that behind your SS? Looks german, like maybe an older 190 or maybe E30.

Last edited by Lumbergh; 01-09-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk. Great looking project. Gotta love craigslist.........that's where I found my '77. As liledgy said, Discount Inboard Marine is a great source for many of the parts you might need for your boat, as well as a great place for a little advice too. Have them send you a catalog - it is a great resource.

http://www.skidim.com/

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W

Quote:
Originally Posted by liledgy View Post
Your boat looks like its in nice shape. It has some traits of an 83. The mirrors on most 82's folded down into the glove box. It also looks like you have access to the bow from the passenger seat, did the seat back have a hinge on it to slide skis under the bow. The 82's had an open bow but you had to access it from the drivers area.
Try discount inboard marine for the steering cable parts.
It does look a little different. The steering wheel looks '82, the dash is like an '83, the mirror looks like pre '82, the bow storage looks '83 and later and it doesn't appear to have a metalflake stripe. (more like an '84 or '85)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
Yep, I was guessing 84-85 with the lack of flake and that windshield. What are the last 2 digits in the SN on the back?
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the Skidim tip...I placed a big order today to replace all engine hoses, pumps, worn steering components, etc.

Progress report: Removing marine parts from old engine...

Here is a few more images to figure out exactly what year the boat is. I am pretty sure it's a 1982....Date code on gas tank is sept 1981, and similar date on the heater core.

Here are a few more detail shots of dash, etc. to help determine year...Maybe a late production 1982/ early 1983.

The stripe on the boat is brown....not metelflake brown.

I think someone has added a 3rd speedo on the engine cover at some point for the observer to see how fast they are going....has a 3rd sender unit off the back of the boat also..

Lumbergh: Race car is indeed a 1988 Mercedes 190e set up like a DTM car. (german race style).
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM
TT Regular

sorry...here are the pictures.....
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Welcome to TT!

I also own an 82, which I bought new in the summer of 82.

Based on your photos (and HIN number), I beiive your boat is an early 82.

Later in the 82 production run, they switched to the contoured motor box and fold into the dash mirror. They also produced 82's with the rounded windshield. Metal flake stripes were an option, howeve most of the boats had this option. It is a rare find to find one without the metal flake stripe!

Also, your boat was most likely used in tournaments at one time, the third speedometer for the judge is the clue. I believe it was a requirement for a barefoot tournament boat.

Last edited by ski_king; 01-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.