Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-19-2005, 09:02 AM
TT Regular

Bunk Glide-Ons

Has anyone tried to use this product in place of using carpet on your trailer bunks?

The Bunk Glide-Ons fit over the existing bunks. They are made of some type of plastic or Teflon which is suppose to significantly reduce the drag between the hull and the bunk boards when loading and unloading.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:06 AM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
I’ve seen it, read about it but not used it. I don’t really think I have a friction problem with a 20” boat. I like the carpet. That stuff might work too well and I would be afraid of coming up short of the water when putting my boat in. .

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X7, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to mrcrowson
I have not.
However, I use a product called Liquid Rollers

Very slick stuff. after backing down the ramp and unhooking the bow I am able to just push the boat with ease off the trailer.

DO NOT!! UNHOOK THE BOAT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT BACKED DOWN INTO THE WATER!!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrowson
I have not.
However, I use a product called Liquid Rollers

Very slick stuff. after backing down the ramp and unhooking the bow I am able to just push the boat with ease off the trailer.

DO NOT!! UNHOOK THE BOAT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT BACKED DOWN INTO THE WATER!!
I have started waxing my bunks. I used paste wax last time. Really works well and cheap!. But - adhere to the above warning. Not to mention - you get to wax the only part of your boat that you cannot touch when it's on the trailer
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
TT Regular

I order a set of these Bunk Glide-Ons from Overtons. I plan to put them on this weekend. I also am concerned it may do too good a job so I am only putting the Glide-Ons, on the first half of the trailer bunks. I will leave the upper half of the bunks covered with carpet.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
Boy do I have experance on this one

First, my buddy uses the Teflon strips on his cradle. Not a problem, his bu sits well on the bunks so it works really great. One winter I needed to work on my trailer so I took my Out board over there to store it for a week or so. Bad idea!!! The Larson didn’t fit as well, seems it was sitting on the inside edge of the runners. Not enough contact = not enough friction = oh sh!!t . 4ft up the boat decided it had enough and it came off the cradle with me still in it…wow what a ride, only damage done was in my shorts!!

Several months ago I started using silicone spray on my boat trailer bunks and I really like it……move forward to July 4 weekend, we were loading jet ski’s. Then I came up with this bright idea! If it works on my boat it will work on my uncles ski…right?
Well you know that little strap you loop through the eyelet and bring back to the hook, to hold it on the trailer? It broke about 40ft up the CONCREATE ramp. My cousin was still on it when it landed in the middle of the ramp . I was sick. We (with the help of a few fellow boaters) picked it up and put it back on the trailer and found only a few scratchs on the hull, whew. I still use it on my boat trailer but I use my boat buddy and my strap when pulling out of the water

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
I also use the liquid rollers on my 2003 197 trailer. Slippery Stuff. Definetly have the boat in the water before disconnecting it from the trailer.