Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25
florida boating question

This may come across silly or ignorant, but here goes.....

Thinking of buying a winter place in fort myers or naples, florida and have a question about watersports down there.

Are snakes/gators in fresh waters or crocs/sharks in salt/brackish waters a serious concern while skiing, surfing, wakeboarding? Would people familiar with florida recommend fresh or salt water as a better/safer option? Feel free to make fun of a seemingly stupid question, as long as you answer it too
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
Dont know about fort meyers. Im in North florida. we are on the river everyweekend. I have never heard on an insident during the day. some dummys have got bitten at night swimming in lakes. as far as sharks. they shouldnt be a problem. course down south you might have to worry about Pythons. or pirannas. lol

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hmmmm...i'm sure part of that was sarcastic. Just not sure which part. Bitten by what?
Why a river? Better conditions than lakes or just more convenient? Just trying to get an idea of the boating situation there. I'm sure it sounds stupid if you're from fla. Dont have issues in new england though.....except frost bite.

Last edited by SWeaver; 04-11-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Looked at property down in Ft Myers, Lehigh Acress several years ago, lots of nice real estate down there. Prices are very depressed right now down there, so there are probably some exceptional deals out there. One thing that I dont remember seeing down there was much in the way of lake front or waterways, other than what was on the coast. Ocean front is real nice down there and the gulf is beautiful for swimming, fishing, jet skiiing, the Gulf can lay out real flat for water skiing. There are some area's south of Naples called Thousand Islands that have coves, and waterways that would be more conducive to skiing, however this water is all pretty brakish and perhaps not the best water to use a Mastercraft in.
Wound up buying a lot in Lake Placid, which is across the street from Lake Huntley. This whole area is real nice down there with lots of lakes and encompasses, Sebring and Lake Placid. It is relatively close to Tampa/Clearwater, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale, all within a max of two hours drive. Be careful of which lake you might look at as some are becoming overgrown with algae/etc.. Highlands County was very helpful with information about the different lakes and schooled me up pretty good on the different types of lakes. There are definitely more beautiful lakes than declining lakes though. Check out the links for some general info on this area.

http://www.hcbcc.net/

http://lakeplacidmarine.com/

http://goflorida.about.com/od/orland...lakeplacid.htm

Would not worry about the gators or sharks, dont bother them and they pretty much wont bother you.

Here is a link to a place where you can get up close and personal with a gator

http://www.nps.gov/ever/parknews/ima...ublication.htm

In answer to question from the above post, probably bitten by gators at night. Pythons are becoming a real problem out in the glades and South Fl in general, they now have a hunting season for them. Would not worry about the sharks, used to fly along the Fl/Bahama beaches all the time and see sharks swimming within a few feet of people with those people ever knowing a shark was there!

Good luck, if you have any questions pm me with a number and will call you back.

Last edited by rjracin240; 04-12-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
We live on the east coast on fresh water that runs from West Palm Beach to Delray Beach. We have been here for 19 years and have never heard of any gator attacks. We board 125 hours a year an never had a problem. We aso have been to Lake Placid several times to friends house and never had a problem there. If you look at the stats it's safer to ski/board in florida waters than drive on the roads with the snowbirds.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmminfla View Post
We live on the east coast on fresh water that runs from West Palm Beach to Delray Beach. We have been here for 19 years and have never heard of any gator attacks. We board 125 hours a year an never had a problem. We aso have been to Lake Placid several times to friends house and never had a problem there. If you look at the stats it's safer to ski/board in florida waters than drive on the roads with the snowbirds.
Notice he didn't mention sharks? They do go up fresh water rivers and Florida leads the nation in attacks by huge numbers http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...ack/mapusa.htm

Not trying to scare ya or anything
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
I live in Sebring on Lake Jackson, and while there are gators in it, you NEVER see them during the day. Dusk is when you see them. Also, Lake Jackson is the most used lake in Highlands Co.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 PS 205 5.7L 275 HP TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Notice he didn't mention sharks? They do go up fresh water rivers and Florida leads the nation in attacks by huge numbers http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...ack/mapusa.htm

Not trying to scare ya or anything
Coz, If a shark was going to get in our fresh water canal/lake system it would have to jump over a 15 foot spillway. We are too far above sea level for any salt water fish too survive. But there are some brackish canales that it would be possible.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

So, sharks, pythons, algae. But not the gators unless it is nighttime. So far so good.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmminfla View Post
Coz, If a shark was going to get in our fresh water canal/lake system it would have to jump over a 15 foot spillway. We are too far above sea level for any salt water fish too survive. But there are some brackish canales that it would be possible.
My sister lives in Hollywood Fl. and those canals are all over the place, I tell my nephews to stay outta those things