Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-12-2011, 04:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 04 TT 197
I run a regular car amp....seems fine and was way cheaper...

04 197 TT LQ9 stargazer w/Z-Box
PB 1@35off
Previous...
96 Prostar 205 Lt1
93 Prostar 205 HO
81 Leaves and stripes(Can. edition)
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Ditto here....all Kicker auto gear.

-2 Amps
- 4 6.5 speakers
- 4 Kicker Tower speakers
- 1 Kicker sub (actually that is marine)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2 - 350MCX
unless you are in salt water, car amps are not an issue, provided they are mounted in an area which is not subject to water intrusion and are mounted high (often they are mounted at floor level)
moisture as mentioned is an issue but a couple of bags of damp rid from home depot totally eradicate that issue.....
the other main issue........ price.............. and range........ far better/bigger range in car audio as we all know
i personally thinkm the marine bit is purely for boats used in and around salt water where corrossion is an issue... fresh water........not a problem
our old boat ran 2 phoenix gold car amps - 4 ch & 2 ch , powering 6 boat/tower speakers and sub and it could be heard miles away.........
my JBL in the X2 sort of go close but I will say i am sorry i let go of the phoenix gold stuff when I sold the old boat
Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
I will second the "Pyle of Crap" comment above. It was a piece of junk. The bottom line there is you get what you pay for. In either event, if something is advertised as "Marine", then likely its should withstand some moisture. Regardless of the amp you buy, I would avoid mounting in any place where you might expect direct water contact. Unfortunately, in my case, any amp I would have had at the time I had the rub rail leak would have undoubtedly bit the dust. Water was shooting in and spraying directly into the end of the amp where all of the controls were located. Thus, it became a piece of toast.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
i just had my boat swamped in a storm and all car audio stuff , everything was submerged for almost 2 hours .i have been drying out the boat for 5 days, im getting ready to fire up the stereo and see what i get .i will report back if they dried out and withstood the full submersion test .LOL
all wet from deck to amps to speakers ,fully submerged.

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I doubt the amps will still work, and if they do, I doubt they will work for very long. Even if you had marine stuff it probably wouldn't survive submersion.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgbottle View Post
i just had my boat swamped in a storm and all car audio stuff , everything was submerged for almost 2 hours .i have been drying out the boat for 5 days, im getting ready to fire up the stereo and see what i get .i will report back if they dried out and withstood the full submersion test .LOL
all wet from deck to amps to speakers ,fully submerged.
Did you put your amps in or around a large of amount of rice? It helps pull the moisture out of the electronics. I would do that a few days before you try them. Good Luck!!

Sent from my wife's old iPad using Tapatalk....

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

update tryied it out tonight . everything works so far accept my big amp.

deck works .2 small amps work .all the speakers work , but one amp dead .my sub amp.
i put an inline fuse in the main power line from my battery and as soon as i connect power to it it blows the fuse .the amp seems to have a direct short blows fuse instantly . but however does not blow the fuse which is plugged directly into the side of the amp .

and the fuse does not blow if the amp disconnected .only blows as soon as i hook the wire to the amp. amp is toast . i have opened it up and i see no damage . will look closer tommorrow.
even my remote control works and i had forgotten about that so i removed battery's and dried it out the remote today and it still works . i hope everythnig holds up for the rest of the season at least .

looks like i only need a one new amp . Doh! maybe it will dry out a bit more and work .LOL

Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
My friends at JL tell me the only difference is color. I ran the HD's over the MHD's.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

update opend up the fully submerged amp that was dead ,cleaned and checked it out with a magnifying glasss .cleaned up some traces and reseated a resistor and she came to life . now to see how long it lasts i did have to reapply some new heatsink thermal compound.

hopefully this car amp will last for awhile or at least for the rest of the season . who needs a marine amp .this one survived a swim in the lake.