Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
it looks like you put the 'Y' pipe on the wrong side of the raw water pump. It should be placed on the intake side where the pressure will be low so that extra water flows through the heater system.
OK, someone needs to explain to me how putting the cold water supply to the heater core on the suction side of the raw water pump will provide any cold water whatsoever. It would seem that if installed that way the impeller will suck water backwards through the heater core. Also, shouldn't there be a mixer valve to mix the cold and hot water together for the right temperature?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, PS 190, 1990, 351 windsor
Water Pump on the Engine

The Y-Tube is to return the hot water that comes from the heater core back to the engine where the water pump on the engine circulates it thru the heater core again. The heater works great when plumbed in this configuration and blows plenty of hot air.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
The Y-Tube is to return the hot water that comes from the heater core back to the engine
OK, makes more sense. I was thinking the Y-tube was cold water supply, not warm water return. Thanks for the clarification.

My other boat has a shower, uses cold lake water mixed with warm engine water in the right proportions to make a nicy comfy rinse. I suppose a heater doesn't need any mixing valve, just the Lo-Med-Hi fan speed.