Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Ohio MC Fan

Needing information on the 76 Stars & Stripes

I just took on a new project boat. It is a 1976 Stars & stripes. I would like to gather a much info that I can prior to diving into this. What I am looking for are: colors MC offered in 1976, rub rail style (mine is missing), upholostery options (mine has the motor box covered in vinyl), boat options (motor etc.), fiberglass texture options (mine has the vinyl textured deck and I do not know if this was an option), the correct script of the Master Craft logo for the 76, and whether it had the logo on the transom or just the 3 stars. I want to restore this to original condition, but I am not sure, at this point, what that is. I have seen many Stars & Stripes, but I do not know which ones were original and which ones had been modified thru the years. I figured that this would be the best source for that information. I am sure that someone out there can direct me where to find the answers that I am looking for. 2 years ago, I finished my first MC project boat, and it turned out great. I have received many compliments on my 86 Tristar 220. It is the single counsel with the rap around seating. That 1, I did modifiy with the new raised logos and changed the gelcoat from grey to white and the stripe from black to yellow. It is definitely an eye catcher. I have always loved the stars & stripe and am very excited to finally be an owner. I just want to make sure and bring it back to life correctly. Thanks for any information that you could pass on.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
I believe that my '76 is almost completely original. I believe that the speedo pickups were removed from the transom when a platform was added. Texture on the deck is original, and was standard for some number of years. Upholstery is original. No back seat. Script on the side is original. There was no MC logo on the transom, just stars. They had the "flag" decal at the back of the sides near the transom, not the yin-yang decals. Check the link to my pictures in the signature below.

Got pics?

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I don't think a vinyl covered, engine cover, is original.

Jeff is dead on with his info. You can get the rubrail components from West Marine. I don't have a closeup pic but Jeff may be able to get you one.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
MC Maniac

I've attached the best pic I have of the rubrail...still not very good. You can see that my rubrail is a bit shorter than the track it runs in...I need to get to that I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction:

Name:  133_3382.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  47.2 KB

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
My 75 S & S has no texture on the deck (or anywhere). Was 76 the 1st tear for the texture?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
My 75 S & S has no texture on the deck (or anywhere). Was 76 the 1st tear for the texture?
I believe so. I think textured decks went from '76 to '81 or '82.

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I had a 79 with the textured deck. It also was equipped with the deluxe interior package. While looking at the interior one day, I noticed that the texture was identical to that which was on the deck. Apparently the mold was lined with the same interior as the seats, in order to get the texture.

79 - 82 are the years that I know of, for certain, with textured decks, however I now see the 76 model in the pic above with that finish. Also, a lot of them came with the metal flaked stripes.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-28-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Ohio MC Fan

I appreciate the info, guys. I noticed that M-funF's 76 had a fiberglass swim platform, mine is equipped with a teak one, were both an option? Also, my speedo pick-up cables come out the transom just below the rubrail, not sure way so high? Also, does anyone know what colors were available for the stripe in 76? I have only seen red or blue.

M-FunF,

Sweet MC. The one I purchased is the 76 that was in the "other" boats for sale forum. I have some glass and gel-coat work to do on the boat and trailer fenders but I believe that I have a good foundation to start with. Current condition is actually usuable, I might get it wet yet here in the next couple of weeks to see how it performs. I will definitely be using your photos as references for my project. If there is another info you can think of, I would really appreciate it. By the way, where is your hour meter located? I am unable to locate 1 on mine. My 86 is on the dash and my 72 Resorter is on the motor.

Thanks again
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
The fiberglass platform went through 1980 or 81. I had an 82 that had the first teak that I had encountered. The speed-o cables are in the correct location for that model as far as I know. I recall them being in that location. Red and blue is all I have seen in the 76. I do recall (and have pics) of green in the 77 model.

That said, in 82 the exhaust was moved from the outside of the stringers to the inside of the stringers, placing the exhaust closer together, thus eliminating barefooting off the platform. The hot water was right on your feet with the exhaust moved closer.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 09-28-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1976 Mstercraft Stars and Stripes
We are restoring a 1976 as well. Some idiot painting the entire boat with blue spray paint. We finally started sanding on the sides and found the gel coat to be in great condition. OUrs is a Rootbeer and Cream original color. It has the textured deck. And The fiberglass swim platform was original. I was told that there were many different color schemes in 76. Most common was red white and blue. I am pretty excited that ours is one of the most rare.