Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 02:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS 1998 5.7 Indmar
Maristar 200

I am wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on the Maristar 200. I am looking to get an inboard with all around capabilities. Does this boat handle waves better than a conventional inboard ski boat? We ski very little wakeboard and tube plus cruise.

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
what year? but I believe yes..
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
What boat you pick usually depends on what you plan on doing with it. You say you ski very little, but wakeboard, tube and cruise. The Maristar looks to be right up your alley. The PO of our boat had a Prostar 190 as his first boat, then bought the Maristar. He is a skier, but he said as he got older and skied less, he was looking for a smoother ride. Our Maristar has a decent ski wake at higher speeds like 36 mph, but is a little tall at slower speeds. It is a great cruiser, and has decent room with the open bow. I think it is a great all around boat, and it suits our family of 5 well.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Year will matter in this discussion. Assuming an older model and that it will be a vdrive I had a 95 200VRS that I was quite happy with. Very comfortable boat with a deep cockpit and wrap around windshield which made for a dry ride. I had this boat while my kids were between 6 and 14. Never felt nervous in any water I ventured out in on inland lakes. I took it out on Lake Erie frequently and the boat preformed well in the open water. I did however keep in mind the limitations of any 20' runabout and picked my days carefully.

I've heard some people complain about porpoising issues but never had that problem with my boat. I ran a OJ Force four blade prop and it did everything pretty darn good. Wakeboarding and Surfing were it's best but open water skiing was very acceptable. Tons of storage and rock solid drive train. The only thing I didn't like was the integrated platform. This was changed on later models and while not a deal breaker for the right boat, I would recommend looking at the later models if for no other reason other than to get away from the integrated platform.

Here's a picture of mine on Lake Erie. The girls out for a ride on the big lake.....
Attached Images

Last edited by bturner2; 12-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
In 1998, Mastercraft redesigned the 200VRS - the same boat in 99+ is called the 210VRS (or the X10 in wakeboard trim). The '98 version is a bit longer (it's 20.5' long, not including the swim platform. In previous years, it's (IIRC) 20' long, including the built-in fiberglass swim platform).

I love ours. The wake is a bit big for optimum water skiing, but works fine for wakeboarding, air chairing, etc. The ride is much nicer on rough water than my friend's PS190, and it has lots of space. I joke that we could easily hide a dozen illegal aliens in the storage spaces if we ever boated across the border.

Let me know which year you're looking at; I have some old brochures digitized that might help you out.

/frank
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
which model year will make a significant difference.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 1998 LT1
I have to laugh everytime someone complains about the wake being too big on the maristar to ski behind. I am used to skiing behind I/O's with huge 454 motors and loaded down with 15+ people. <--Not kidding on this one. It may not be a Prostar but it is MUCH better than what I am used to.
Maristars are great boats. Mastercrafts have always lead the way in most areas. Great lay out with tons of storage. I love how comfortable and deep the seats are. Power is just about spot on and right now they are very inexpensive for what you get.

I would have a PPI done by your local shop as to what it needs before you get it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
If you are talking a '06 on 200vrs, same as the X-2, then it is a very nice boat for everyday use and chop. Another version would be the 215v. The 215v is roomier, skis better, surfs better and a little bigger with a traditional front instead of the superfly the 200 has. 200 will handle rough water a little better. I know of a 2006 white and yellow 215 for sale if you are interested.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenster View Post
I have to laugh everytime someone complains about the wake being too big on the maristar to ski behind. I am used to skiing behind I/O's with huge 454 motors and loaded down with 15+ people. <--Not kidding on this one. It may not be a Prostar but it is MUCH better than what I am used to.
Maristars are great boats. Mastercrafts have always lead the way in most areas. Great lay out with tons of storage. I love how comfortable and deep the seats are. Power is just about spot on and right now they are very inexpensive for what you get.

I would have a PPI done by your local shop as to what it needs before you get it.
Having grown up skiing behind a 1980s Cobalt I/O with a V-8, I know the Maristar ski wake is better than most, it just doesn't compare to the Prostar wake (as you mention).
Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
[quote=bturner2;894207]

I've heard some people complain about porpoising issues but never had that problem with my boat. I ran a OJ Force four blade prop and it did everything pretty darn good. Wakeboarding and Surfing were it's best but open water skiing was very acceptable. Tons of storage and rock solid drive train. The only thing I didn't like was the integrated platform. This was changed on later models and while not a deal breaker for the right boat, I would recommend looking at the later models if for no other reason other than to get away from the integrated platform.

QUOTE]

Mine is one of the 95s with the porpoising issue. I eventually will put a wake plate on it to fix that problem. I agree with the platform. I didn't think it would be a big problem, but it is smaller and a little tricky getting used to. Being recreational skiers, the wake is fine for us and I love the extra room. It doesn't handle like my old S&S or my 89 Prostar, but we needed the extra room. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay away from the integrated platform.
Attached Images