Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 15
New Boat, New Slip.. need advice

I just purchased my first Mastercraft, a 2011 X-15 and I am going to be keeping it on the water in a slip. I as of yet have been unable to locate a lift at a price I can afford. This brings me to two questions:

1.) will the boat be ok in the water? I plan to pull it out at the end of the season.

2.) What is the best way to secure it to the dock> The slip has a finger dock on the port side and two metal poles on the starboard. The dock is floating.

If anyone could help out, or has a line on a used lift in East TN I would appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
First off most people on this board and any board will tell you that you are neglecting your boat!

I keep my personal x-star in the water from mid april till late october with no issue going onto the 4th summer.

I give a liberal coat of wax in the spring before the boat goes in for the season (meguiar's nxt liquid wax works great)

Also through the season I get under the boat every week with a sponge or old t-shirt and clean off all algee to keep the boat looking good. Furthermore I take the boat out a couple times during the year to let the gel coat "breath" and give the hull another coat of wax.

I am in the same position as you as I don't have $12k for a proper boat lift or 80k to build a steel dock. We have a good ph balance of water in our lake. Obviously you need to keep a keen eye on your hull and change your habits accordingly.

As for mooring I would recommend some bungle tie lines as it softens the pull on the cleats.

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
What part of East Tn. are you and what lake will you be on?

If I spent that kinda money on a new boat I don't think I would risk leaving it in the water all season. The most I leave my boat in the water is a week at a time. Keep in mind everyone is different and it's your boat so you make the call. I know some of the marinas there will rent you a slip with a lift. Also you may find a used Hydro-hoist if you check craigslist, paper or the Thrifty Nickle. I know I have seen them for $2500 - $3000.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:20 PM
MC Maniac

Here are a few.

Search Results8000 lb Hydrohoist - boat liftMar 7, 2011 ... 8000 lb Hydrohoist - boat lift - $4600 (Pickwick Lake, TN/MS) ... used 8000lb capacity lift with dual tanks, and dual valve controller. ...
loz.craigslist.org › for sale / wanted › boats

Sunset Marina on Dale Hollow Lake - The Lakes Community ...25 posts - 10 authors - Last post: Jan 18, 2008
Pricing on Used Hydrohoist Lifts to be posted soon. Tom Allen GM-Sunset Marina ... Lift Purchase Option = $3995.00 +TN Sales Tax ...
lakecumberland.com › ... › Commercial Announcements - Cached - Similar

Hydrohoist - Yakaz For saleFloating Boat lift manufactured by hydrohoist. 6000 lb capacity used for one season Location: Chattanooga ... Chattanooga TN, United States, 2 weeks ago ...
for-sale.yakaz.com/hydrohoist
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
What part of East Tn. are you and what lake will you be on?
Judging by your name I would say the same part of East TN as you. I will be on Fort Loudon. After what I dropped on the boat I just can't afford another 8k for a lift. If I can find one for 2-3k I would jump on it. I just haven't found one yet. There was one up in Norris for sale but I have no idea how I would have gotten it from there to here.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
MC Maniac

Not living there now but will be back soon. If you can get one on Norris you can get it to Ft Loudon. It might be worth it to call HydroHoist.

On a side note I will be back in town this week to help a friend with a deck up on Norris. Wants help? We could use a extra hand!!! I bet he knows someone who could find you one.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I think the risk of osmotic blistering is minimal thrse days but still exists. I havent left my 09 in for longer tjan a week, but might this year. But i dont think ill leave it in longrr than a few weeks at a time.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Mine is in months at a time... No issues thus far.....

Don't give me the spiel.... I don't want to hear it...

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
call around all the local marinas on Louden, Norris, Tellico, etc ... someone will have a used lift for sale ... can you pull it out each weekend and store it on the trailer? As other have said, would be a shame to leave it in the water. I put mine in and out each weekend for 7 years before i got my lift ... glad i did. I'm a lake commuter ... do you live on the lake year round?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Move it to Douglas, I'll build you a lift, lease it to you for an extra $50 a month, and put it right next to mine

Tags
dock, mooring, slip