Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 04:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 x-10
Boat upholstery

I have a 2005 x-10 that I had the grey on the sunddeck redone. When I took the skin off there a plastic film on between the foam and vinyl. I brought it to the shop to have the panel fixed and skin put back on. He stated that he took the film off and did not replace it as it only keeps the moiture in. He also stated the only purpose it to help the boat installers strectch the vinyl. My question is this: should there be or should there not be a piece of film between the foam and vinyl?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Smile

Your guy is correct. It is only there so that the skin can be strecthed easier when it is being installed.

You don't need it there. If he installed it without it, and got the skin stretched and straight, then more power to him!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I've seen an episode of "How It's Made" where they were making recliners or something. The foam rubber for the cushions was put in a plastic bag and vacuumed down so that it would easily go into the upholstery cover. After it was inside they broke the vacuum and the foam expanded to fill the fabric but the bag remained. So, the only real purpose of the plastic was to make assembly at the factory faster.

Not sure if this applies to boat upholstery at the factory or not.