Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Addiction Issues

This is way off topic for a Mastercraft topic but I want to share our experience in hopes that if any other Team members are looking for info maybe I can help.

Iíve been a Mastercraft owner for over 12 years and member of Team Talk for nearly that long. I am now on my second Mastercraft. The first Mastercraft I ever skied behind was in 1973 at in ski tournament in the Kansas City area and I have been hooked ever since.

I have 3 kids the oldest 32 and youngest 22. For the last 7 years as a family we have been struggling with my sonís addiction. The good news is that today he is clean and has been since last summer. What we found out is that addiction can strike anywhere and for the inexperienced family it is worse than any wipeout on ball 3 at 22 off or face plant on a wake to wake.

For the last couple of years a part of my personal therapy has been to write a blog about parenting an addict. It is the real story, no holds barred on what it is like when addiction strikes a loved one. Out of writing this blog I have been ask by The Partnership At Drugfree.org to be a Parent Ambassador.

Iím not going to get into a bunch of details here about our situation other than my sonís drug of choice was prescription meds and then graduated to heroin. This is a very typical progression by young people that get trapped in the disease of addiction to opiates. You can read all the details on our blog if you are interested.

www.parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com

In addition you can find other articles I have written for The Partnership At Drugfree.org here: http://intervene.drugfree.org/author/ron/

This picture is about 7 years ago when he first started. If you have any personal questions feel free to write or if you know someone or a family suffering in the same situation please feel free to forward our contact info.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Ron, I'm glad to read that your son is making progress and moving in the right direction. I had a close friend fall into the same addiction many years ago and it took her several more years to beat it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
It sounds like your son is on the right path.

Best of luck to both of you!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
thanks for sharing ... as a parent i can't imagine going through that but am very impressed with you openness and desire to help others. I've seen a friend's kid do the exact same and watch all their denial ... was not good

all the best to you and your son
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
Best wishes to you and your family going forward. This can happen to anyone and any family. One of my closest friends' brothers fell into the same path. Baseball players in HS and college, playing ending surgery, painkillers, led to H. Sadly to say, he lost his 2 brothers within 6 weeks of each other about 2 years ago to OD..
Looks like your son is on the good path, here's to hoping he stays with it.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 S & S
Wow, very nice blog. Good luck to you guys!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 190 1986 351 indmar power slot
Scary thoughts with a family of my own good luck and will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers
Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: In my mind ... a 190 or 197! In my garage ... Sanger V215
Ron-

Glad to read that your son is doing well now. I am the sibling of an addict and have lived through the familial nightmare as well. Thank you for your efforts at helping others in the midst of your gut-checking pain. Here's to hoping that you son and my sister both stay on the path of successfully beating the dependency, behavior, and the Rx.

Not to make light of anyone's situation, but more from an encouragement to get into "positive" stuff ... I fully admit that I have an addiction/illness ... it involves some water and six little balls!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Have a daughter graduating this summer and a son who is 14, prime years for straying into the wrong direcction. Thanks for volunteering your support if we ever need it.
Thoughts and prayers for your son to stay on the right track and the blessing of his wonderful supportive family. You guys have gone through a lot and deserve recognition for your son's support.

I am glad I bought a Mastercraft and how it led to such a great group of people on this message board.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Ron Grover - You ROCK!!!! So happy that your son is on the right path at this point!!!!