Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225 LT-1 (the SS Overkill)
Mounting differences between different years' MC/Gere Marie speaker cans?

Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2003-04, 2005-06, and the 07-present
MC speaker cans... I think I have the years divided correctly, anyone know better, let me know.
I am interested in putting 2 of these on a 2005 x-45 MC 'swoop' tower.
I measured the OD of the bar it mounts to, and it appears to be 2 7/16", so I am assuming I have 2 1/2" tubing on the tower.

I am not interested in the older style cans with the tweeter permanently attached to the can (2002 & earlier?).
I would like to mount a pair of HLCD speakers in them, and remove the external tweeter.

Are all the MC/Gere Marie speaker cans from 2003-present the same physical size inside?

I know the different years mount differently, some of them have an adapter available to permit me to mount them?
Are there some years that I should steer away from, due to difficulty installing them, or physical size differences?

If someone has one of these, a pic of the mounting method would be great!

I did use the mediocre search function here, but did not come up with a thread discussing the differences between these cans.

Thanks in advance.

Frosty
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I know 05 and up are all the same size (except the '11 models look like they got some new cans) and you can remove the tweeters and replace them with a cover. 05-06 mounted directly to the tower tubing, looks like the pic below. 07-up had a flat mounting surface to mount to the tower nubs.
I know they make adapters to mount the 05-06 cans to the 07-up towers ( I have a spare pair if anyone is interested in them), not sure if there's an adapter available to mount the newer cans to a 05-06 tower.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 03-16-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Row Boat w/ 5HP Motor for tubing
In addition to his question... do the stock mounting points fan out on the outside 2? Meaning if you mount speakers to the stock locations will the points toward the outside of the tower point a little outside the wake? Not trying to hyjack the thread, just trying to get a simple question answered.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM
MC Maniac

On the 05-06 setup, they really don't point out much, only to the extent of the curvature of the tower bar.
The nub style mounts I think you can rotate them.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Row Boat w/ 5HP Motor for tubing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
On the 05-06 setup, they really don't point out much, only to the extent of the curvature of the tower bar.
The nub style mounts I think you can rotate them.
Any idea about the 09?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225 LT-1 (the SS Overkill)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
2007-up had a flat mounting surface to mount to the tower nubs.
Thanks for the quick answer & the pic, Thrall!

Are these tower nubs built into the tower, or is it part of the mounting hardware that you add to the tower when adding the cans?

I think these are the nubs you are talking about... mounted above the speaker pods, and below the lights?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
the cans that are shown above, can have there position adjusted to make them level and point in the desired direction. This is achieved by 4 machine screws positioned at four points around the mounting bolt. they allow minute adjustments of the cans so they dont look crooked or wonky.

I like these because they have more headroom than the pod-mount type
Old 03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
I think the nubs that are the four mounting locations on the 07 and up towers. If you look at the newer towers there are four stand offs on the bottom of the tower to mount speakers or lights too. The 2005 and 2006 didn't have these stand offs and the speakers bolted directly to the towers.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
sorry didnt understand,
The "nubs`you are reffering to in the large photo above are actually covers to access holes. The holes are there so you can get a socket wrench on the bolt to tighten the speaker/light mounting nut.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
MC Maniac

The large picture is the 05-06 style that mount directly to the tower bar. Look at the raduised machined area on the speaker pic I posted. This style doesn't off much side to side adjustment.
The 07 and up have "nubs" or standoffs as someone more eloquently put it. These have more adjustability I believe.
Craig I don't believe the style in the Xstar pic aer adjustable side to side. I installed the speakers on my X2 (2006) and they adjust up/down some, but the can is machined to fit pretty snug against the tower, not able to spin them much, couple degrees maybe.

Tags
gere marie, mount, speaker, tower