Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2008, MCX engine
Battery drain on 08 X2

Hi,

I have an 08 X2 with MCX. My main battery gets drained completely over a 2 weeks period. Part of it may be the bilge pump as the boat stays in the water but I suspect there might be something else.

For those of you who have the attitude plate i.e. trim tab, do you hear this device start all the time as if it wants to come back in normal position by itself? even when everything is off and boat is in the garage? Is this normal and could that be the cause of my power drain?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 MasterCraft X-30, 5.7 Ilmor
I have a 07 X2 with the AAP, and have noticed that if I leave the plate in the down position for a while, it will return to the "up" position on its own accord. It does not seem to do it unless the key is in the ignition, nor has it ever drained the battery.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2, MCX
This happened to us in early spring when we weren't riding as frequently. I was advised by my dealer to switch the batteries off when not in use for an extended period of time. Apparently, the VDIG draws a lot of power even when not in use. Do you have the dual battery set up? If so, your switch should be under the rear port side seat. Your settings should still be active when you switch them back on.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by park190 View Post
This happened to us in early spring when we weren't riding as frequently. I was advised by my dealer to switch the batteries off when not in use for an extended period of time. Apparently, the VDIG draws a lot of power even when not in use. Do you have the dual battery set up? If so, your switch should be under the rear port side seat. Your settings should still be active when you switch them back on.
I thought about this but since the boat is in the water, I don't want to desactivate the bilge pump!!! I might try to turn the battery switch to the off position and see if the bilge pump bypass the switch and still works.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2-SS
I invested in a battery tender,keeps the battery charged all the time.Cost about $50.00.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masternorth View Post
I thought about this but since the boat is in the water, I don't want to desactivate the bilge pump!!! I might try to turn the battery switch to the off position and see if the bilge pump bypass the switch and still works.

I completely understand. This is why I asked if you had the dual battery set up.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornellier View Post
I invested in a battery tender,keeps the battery charged all the time.Cost about $50.00.
Mine would drain every two weeks. Kept batteries charged with the battery tender over the winter - no problems now - battery tender not connected during the summer.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the dual battery set-up and I turn the switch to 1 battery when away so that I have 1 good battery when I come back to start the boat.

The battery tender solution will not work for me as I leave the boat at a dealer during winter and my boat sits in water far from electricity during the summer...
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
You could look into a solar power battery tender.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MASTERCRAFT X-9 01 INDMAR 330 HP
The auto bilge should work even when the batt is switched off.