Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1989 351
Unhappy ProStar 190 raw water pump

Hey folks,

I removed the raw water pump and wheel from the engine. How do I separate the wheel and shaft from the raw water pump so that I can put in a new seal? In the close-up showing the shaft you can see where I tried to pound the seal/bushing out with a 13/16 deep throated socket. I should have used a three-quarter inch socket and as result of mashed up the rubber seal and now I can't get this dang thing apart.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:59 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
get a new pump - if the seal is leaking the bearings should be replaced too.. you'll need a press to get them in. I was able to pound mine out and here's how it all looked. the second pic is from waterlogged882 - corrosion starting on my upper bearing... pic 2 is obviously catastrophic failure.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 02:14 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Mikeg205 so how did you pound the out. Did you strike the splined shaft or pound on what's left of the seal? Eventually does the splines shaft separate from the wheel? Thanks for your pics, too and advice.

Jonathan
Old 04-30-2017, 02:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwsmith View Post
Hey folks,

I removed the raw water pump and wheel from the engine. How do I separate the wheel and shaft from the raw water pump so that I can put in a new seal? In the close-up showing the shaft you can see where I tried to pound the seal/bushing out with a 13/16 deep throated socket. I should have used a three-quarter inch socket and as result of mashed up the rubber seal and now I can't get this dang thing apart.
I rebuilt my pump over the winter and don't remember exactly how I took it apart. I know that I did a lot of pounding with a hammer and used a big vice. I used the vice to push everything back together too (instead of an arbor press). I've attached the rebuild instructions in case you haven't seen these.

In my instance I replaced bearings (from eBay) in addition to the seal. We'll see how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Raw Water pump rebuild.pdf (468.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:41 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks WTRSKR very helpful and also thanks for sharing the rebuild instructions. The "boating family" is generous in wisdom and encouragement. Best, Jonathan
Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
The only thing I would do different than in those instructions. If you are replacing the bearings, drive the shaft out using a short piece of pipe that fits over the shaft and hits the seal/bearings. Why not beat on something that you are going to throw away rather than the end of the shaft?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwsmith View Post
Thanks Mikeg205 so how did you pound the out. Did you strike the splined shaft or pound on what's left of the seal? Eventually does the splines shaft separate from the wheel? Thanks for your pics, too and advice.

Jonathan
Mine came apart pretty easy -- helped the decision to replace it..
Old 05-28-2017, 04:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
do any of you have a part number handy for the johnson pump on a 1989 prostar with the 351?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '89 Prostar Reversed Colors, 351 w/Holly; '01 230 VRS with 8.1L Power House
Johnson RWP Indmar Ford 351

Hello Stuart McNair,

I just ordered one for my 1989 Indmar 351. I bought the Prostar new in that year and have never had a problem with the pump. The first impeller replacement done was last year.

Anyway, I decided to buy a new pump and rebuild my old one to use as a backup. Some new stuff is better than the old stuff and viceversa but I never know which will prove to be which. I plan to be prepared in either case.

I ordered part number JOH 10-24930-01 Extra Flow Raw Water Pump F6B-9 OEM, Crank Shaft Mounted fits V6 & V8 Ford & Chevy (10-24915-01) at inetmarine.com as the new pump replacement for $172.13.

I ordered rebuild parts from http://store.inboardonline.com/ (type in Johnson in their search bar). Their website doesn't work well and I couldn't order from it but according to the guy on the phone, they are owned by Indmar along with Bakesonline.com. Prices seem identical in both of those sites.

Hope that helps and good luck. Gotta get back on the water for the last few weeks of Summer.