Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-30-2017, 05:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 mastercraft 205 350 tpi
96 205 no fuel/ some spark???

Hi guys new here and new to boats but not new to cars/ engine in general. Got a good deal on a 205 that sat outside for about 5 years (engine was covered) that needed A LOT of work (Cracked block, hardcore detail, a new interior, title work) I have been busting my *** trying to get it going for this summer and it looking beautiful but looks like it’s not going to happen as I’ve hit a dead end.

Having trouble on the electronic side.
Fuel pump – doesn’t kick on. But if I jump across the relay I get 12v at the fuel pump + wire. Haven’t put 12v direct to the pump yet tho. I think the signal wire in the relay isn’t getting 12v. That comes from the ECU? I did this before I replaced the ICM. I was semi concerned about putting 12v directly to the pump to test it. Might be a good next step.
safety switch- works
battery- new and fully charged
Relays and fuses are good
even pulled the grey wire off the tach in case that was shorting or something- no change

How do I test the ecu?

Weird test yesterday… I replaced the ICM with new one hooked it up. Turnkey on nothing happens no Fuel pump kick on. Then I crank it over to see what would happen. (I have no plugs in the engine and didn’t have the cap on the distributor) I saw a spark from the rotor then the ICM poured out smoke so that was $10 wasted… Oh well. Not sure where to go from here. Seems like I HAD spark. Would a bad rotor cause the icm to smoke/ burn out or not having the plugs and distributor put together cause this problem? I didn’t test the fuel pump + lead once I had the ICM hooked up I should of tho. DOH.

Thanks in advance any other ideas?

Maybe I got a bad Fuel pump and a bad ICM. or a short in the ecu?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
you can put 12v to fuel pump. check pick up on distributor shaft.

you can test ecu by...

here's a thread to follow http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-61628.html
Old 08-01-2017, 01:16 AM
TT Newbie

My boat is in storage about a hour south of me so hopefully this weekend I'll get around to going down there and run some more tests.

I was able to do the test the pickup coil since I have the distributor here with me.

Pick up Coil test #1 lead to base of distributor and pickup coil wire. I get nothing. No changes. just stays at 1 on multimeter. shows no resistance. So I'm thinking there's some problem there?
Test #2 connecting to each lead I get 800ohms which tests out fine according to the manual.

I order the stuff to do the ecu test.
Ordered another ICM.
I think I'm just going to order a whole distributor too. A pickup coil is $23 and a new Distributor is $38.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Both test in the manual were turninig up fine when i did them...
Still,found this when i removed the pick up coil...
Run great since!
Good luck!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=80083&page=4
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 PM
TT Newbie

THX for the info. I'll have to rip the coil apart and look at it. it doesn't look great from the outside. I can see it's a little rusty. Sad too this boat barely has 300 hours on it.

Anyone have a good part number for a gm Relay for FP/ ecu?? I wanna get a spare or two.

Two other questions.

Neutral safety switch is that on the trans or by the shifter? common failure part? That needs to be in working order for the boat to turn on fuel pump?

Does the boat need to see oil pressure at the oil pressure switch to activate the Fuel pump?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:19 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
ECU is MEFI2 - there are different parts - but they can be programmed for MC - My spare is an Indmar 19189069 mefi 1

here's a table with part number and pictures

http://www.mefiburn.com/mefitune.asp

http://www.mefiburn.com/allinone.asp - can help with info
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM
TT Newbie

Well I was able to test the Fuel pump. It's no good. I have the TBI engine. Is the P61171 the one I want to replace it? Seems like there is multiple models which will work.

The ecu tested out okay. No codes just #12 which means it's okay.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I am not sure I follow along completely... if it where me I would go and find every connection and take it apart and clean it and put it back together.. if the boat sat out for that long those connections most likely got corroded...
you can eliminate the lanyard by shorting it out.. the pump works regardless of the lanyard, the lanyard only stops the spark from occurring so it will spin the motor, prime the fuel pump.

did you drain the gas out of it and all that good stuff too?

for a new fuel pump I would call action water sports... they will know what you need..

I don't know if yours has the in the tank pump but if it does please order all new gaskets and screws with new gaskets.. throw the old ones away...
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I am not sure I follow along completely... if it where me I would go and find every connection and take it apart and clean it and put it back together.. if the boat sat out for that long those connections most likely got corroded...
you can eliminate the lanyard by shorting it out.. the pump works regardless of the lanyard, the lanyard only stops the spark from occurring so it will spin the motor, prime the fuel pump.
The lanyard disables the main relay, which is what powers the fuel pump relay. So you do not get fuel if the lanyard is disconnected or has problems.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
you are correct I had spark on the brain... the motor spins but nothing happens.