Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2011, 12:17 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Exclamation 2002 X-Star and Towing Basics

I'm looking to purchase a vehicle capable of comfortably towing a 2002 X-Star distances up to 250 miles... I'd also be carrying family (baby and kid stuff), dog, etc. Think long weekend family lake trips.

1. What types of weight are we talking about for a 2002 X-Star? I'm finding conflicting information on the web. I'm assuming I also have to add the weight of the trailer, gas, etc. What about weights of single and tandem axle trailers?

2. What type of towing capacity do I need? I'm confused by all the weight ratings, hitch classes, etc. Do I just make sure my total weight from question 1 is less than the vehicle's towing ratings? Do I need to think about other factors like tongue weight? Do I want some 'buffer' between actual boat weight and vehicle rating?

3. Am I talking a full-size SUV (Expedition), a mid-size SUV (Explorer) or could I get away with a large crossover (Chevy Traverse)?

4. Do I need to consider wheel-base of the vehicle?

5. Does single axle versus tandem axle trailer make a difference?

When not trailering, this would be my primary commuter vehicle, so I'd prefer something more gas efficient than a full-size SUV... Only I don't know how practical this really is.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
'02 X-Star brochure lists the boat @ 3050 lbs, SA trailer @ 1050 lbs, and TA trailer @ 1250 lbs. Safe to add another 250 lbs for fuel, oil, transmission fluid, etc. Then gear on top of that. So, about 4500 - 5000 lbs depending how many beers you have tucked away in the cooler

Yes, your tow rating needs to be more than the total weight of the boat, trailer, etc. And your vehicle needs to be able to support the tongue weight, typically 10% of the total boat and trailer weight. In this case, you'd need a class 3 or greater.

Full size SUV would be a good choice IMO. Anything smaller than that would work pretty hard once loaded up with family, etc. on the highway and hills.

Wheelbase isn't terribly important, but longer is nicer at highway speeds. Shorter is nicer for backing up

Tandem axle trailer is much nicer at highway speeds for stability, single axle is much nicer for backing up

Hopefully this helps!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I have the 06 X1 which is the same boat. You will need something rated for minimum 4500lbs which would be stretched to the max. 6000 would be adequate. From my research the volkswagen toureg with the diesel will likely get the best mileage towing. The traverse with towing package and class III hitch will do fine and be decent on the gas mileage. Almost any of the V6 midsize SUV's will do fine as they are all rated around 6000 with the towing package. Stay away from anything with a capacity of less than 6000lbs. I tow with a Nissan Armada but I have a 4 mile commute. I have pulled my boat with a GMC Acadia with no problems.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
wow... just looked at specs for that diesel touareg... 406lbs of torque? yummy.

I would normally say i would stay away from the V6's for towing long distances, but the engine specs arent too far off my 07 tahoe.

alot of those would be great questions if you were towing a 45/55/80/265, but the 02 star is a pretty small boat, and wont tax your tow vehicle like those would.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I agree with what others above posted. We have an '04 X2, which is the same as the '02 XStar and '06 X1, on a tandem axle trailer, tips the scales about 4500 lbs with fuel and normal loaded gear. Minimum towing capacity of 5000 lbs IMO should be sufficient with a class 3 hitch and proper braking set up.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I would stay away from the crossover route if I was you. A 4500lb boat is more than enough to justify a mid or full size SUV.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
I would agree with Scott, I just spent a few days in a Traverse. It could barely tow my kids around.....
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Especially important if you choose something less than full size, but still worthwhile on a full size tow vehicle is to ensure that the vehicle has a trailer tow package. Usually a cheap addition when new which provides a heavy duty transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler. Also inexpensive and worthwhile is quality brake material. Changing pads on all four corners is cheap insurance that you can stop when you need to. Any brakes will stop the first time, but if a second panic stop in needed while the brakes are still hot, the cheap pads will often times not perform to one's liking.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
I would stay away from the crossover route if I was you. A 4500lb boat is more than enough to justify a mid or full size SUV.
With midsize I was really referring to the Nissan pathfinder, Ford Explorer and Toyota 4Runner or FJ. As was said above the specs on these V6's is not very different from some V8's. The boat is small comparatively. The one's I listed have tow package available which includes tow/haul mode switch to make the transmission more amenable. In my town we have a Nissan Dealer and so I know the most about those. New Ford Explorer is nice. Would agree with staying away from the crossover's. If the nearest dealership weren't 90 miles I probably would have looked at the Toureg harder. Midsize SUV's get better mileage than my Armada by about 8 miles to the gallon highway. Same mileage towing because they require a higher RPM than my V8. It's almost mutually exclusive to have something that has power to tow and gets good mileage unless it is a diesel.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
i would tend to lean with the bigger is better crowd, but understand there are trade-offs. especially if you think there's any chance of upgrading to a larger boat down the road. if you went mid-sized on the tow rig, you'd likely have to sell and start over.

2003 X-2 MCX