Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC 190 Pro Star
Bimini top questions

I'm new to the boating thing. I have some questions towards the bimini top.
I would like to purchase one which is the recommend brand, then I would like to mount it on the fiberglass not on the window frame, the bimini top should be low which is there the right height. It is for a 1996 PS. Also what is the difference between a 190 and a 190 A. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
I'll let others comment on quality of different brands since I have no knowledge in that area, but I wanted to say that you should definitely figure out where you like it mounted before drilling holes. The PO of my boat mounted the center supports just behind the window frame on my '97 PS 190, which is way too far back for my taste. I have enough experience in boats with biminis to have learned that I like the front of the bimini to be about 6" forward of the top of the windshield.

This position essentially puts the center of the bimini over the top of observer's head while the driver's head is obviously under the more rearward part of the bimini. If you are the most frequent driver and you want your shoulders shaded more consistently, you may want to mount if more towards the rear than I would like. The important thing is to figure out where you want it mounted before drilling holes so that you don't take it after mounting and start thinking to yourself, "I wish it were back (or forward) just three inches."
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Jen,

Do you use a Fly High pole on your 190? If so, like we do, you will use that as a reference point if the bimini you get has the zipper in it for the fly high pole.

I bought ours from Go2Marine and it took about 2 weeks to get it since it was a made-to-order.

Barts and Overtons sell them as well.

Some TMC peeps here have gone with more customized retailers due to better materials, etc.

I am happy with ours...definitely get one if you have kids or stay out on the water for long periods of time. The one we got was around $385 with a discount code we used.

I will try to find some oics of ours but you can do a search on "bimini" and a whole lot of threads will come up for your viewing.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
For general bikinis go2marine will be your best price. I got a Westland brand with as that fits well and looms great. Mounts in the fiberglass
Old 06-21-2014, 09:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
For general bikinis go2marine will be your best price. I got a Westland brand with as that fits well and looms great. Mounts in the fiberglass
I checked and checked and did NOT find any bikinis on their site? Come on now Bryan, share the passcode to the good stuff!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC 190 Pro Star
Rockman thanks for the info. I really would like to see a pic of your bimini top. Did you buy sharkskin or sunbrella?