Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 ProStar 190
Angry Way To Make Exhaust LOUD

I just bought my first boat a couple weeks ago, a '92 ProStar 190. I had assumed that since it rumbled pretty good in the driveway when I bought it that it would be aggressive in the water. I am not familiar with inboards so I was hoping it would sound like the thru-hill exhausts I have always heard with the I/Os. Would straight pipes and some tips help at all or is this just never gonna happen?? Apparently most of the guys on here prefer it quiet but NOT me, to each their own, lol. I want it rumbling as much as possible. Also wondering why these boats top out at 45 mph with a V8?? Is there anything I can do about that?? An I/O with this same motor would nail 65 mph all day, not sure what is holding this boat back...
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Think you have the wrong boat!!! Good Luck
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I'm not sure if you will ever achevie what you are looking for with a 92, 190. The prop and transmition are going to hold you back
Old 03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
These boats were designed to pull advanced slalom skiers through a slalom course at speeds up to 36 mph. They are also designed to track and hold speed better than I/O or outboard boats. The boat you have is one of the better examples of a true slalom boat. You would have to get a pretty radical prop on there to approach 50 mph. Also, if you have not noticed, that boat ia a bear in rough water, it was made for glass like conditions. I am guessing that you will be using this for recreation or "Wallying" as we call it. It will still be a damn fun reliable boat for that. Just not a fast top end or loud without spending some $$
Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 280STS
I suggest: 1) a CD with loud engine noises for the sound effect, 2) a video of your boat being pulled down the highway at 65MPH for the visual effect! Not what you want to hear but what you need to hear. It will assist in making your disappointment short lived.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan80 View Post
I just bought my first boat a couple weeks ago, a '92 ProStar 190. I had assumed that since it rumbled pretty good in the driveway when I bought it that it would be aggressive in the water. I am not familiar with inboards so I was hoping it would sound like the thru-hill exhausts I have always heard with the I/Os. Would straight pipes and some tips help at all or is this just never gonna happen?? Apparently most of the guys on here prefer it quiet but NOT me, to each their own, lol. I want it rumbling as much as possible. Also wondering why these boats top out at 45 mph with a V8?? Is there anything I can do about that?? An I/O with this same motor would nail 65 mph all day, not sure what is holding this boat back...
You can make the exhausts louder with by removing the mufflers, but you're not going to get something that sounds like an offshore Apba racer if that is what you truly want.

You will never see 65mph out of a direct drive inboard boat, the shaft angle and the inability to change the hull running angle means that regardless of horsepower and prop you just cannot attain those speeds.

A '92 prostar is one of the best ski boat hulls ever produced so my advice is take up slalom skiing or bare footing
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Well, it's not likely to be as loud - a ski boat is intended to have someone on a rope 40' behind the boat. Straight open pipes aimed at them would make skiing a little less enjoyable for many; so the exhausts are located low next to the waterline to reduce the noise. My personal opinion on loud pipes is that, if you like the rumble, curve the pipes so they're pointed into the boat (same for a bike - you like the noise? Get custom pipes that point in the direction of your head).

Ski boats aren't as efficient as I/Os for speed. The Prop is angled downwards, losing some power compared to an I/O where you can trim the prop angle for best speed. Also, the ski boat tends to have a lot more drag than an I/O in order to shape the wake appropriately for skiing. Barefoot skiiers go up to 45 or so, so that's the design goal for these boats, and where most of them top out, even with 350 HP on tap.

If you want loud and you want fast, I think you're starting with the wrong platform.

/frank
Old 03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 Sanger DXII L96
With enough people trying to pass lake restriction times I myself personally would like it if you kept it quiet as to not make us look bad. Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
A ProStar will not go faster than 50 mph, ain't gonna happen. I hate to say this, but if you want louder exhaust you can remove the mufflers and have straight pipes. Doesn't make much sense to me though. It's going to be annoying to your passengers and your neighbors after about five minutes. You won't be able to carry on a conversation, and you won't be able to hear your stereo.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Straight pipes are not the way to go, unless you just want to hear the exhaust, not carry on a conversation in the boat, make the skier go deaf, and piss off everyone on the lake/river.

Previous owner of my X-2 had straight pipes on the boat, once you got above like 9mph and the exhaust tips got out of the water you could not even talk to the person sitting next to you. Muffler was ordered very quickly to fix the situation. Boat has a beautiful rumble to it and still quiet enough to talk while cruising.