Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Worst Trailer Story Ever

This happened last year but I am bored and want to tell this story. I was going up to my buddy's cabin in Northern Minnesota and was trailering my Craft. To do this I have to go through Minneapolis and I was on interstate 494 which is about the most jam-packed road pretty much in the state. It was packed and I was flying about 65 down the road when suddenly--Bang!--complete blowout on my trailer. I make it to the side of the road and I start sweating because--oh yeah--I don't have a spare. Ooops. I had bought it a month or two before and it didn't come with one. Well, I called my cousin who lived up there and I took off my wheel and gave it to him to go get a new tire at Tires Plus. So he did and finally came back. I put the tire on and it work great and I kept driving up north. I was pretty proud of myself--I really got out of a jam--or so I thought.

Well, I went for about 15 mins, and guess what, the brand-spanking new tire completely blows out!! At this point it is getting dark and I am pretty much swearing up a storm. I drive the boat off the interstate--on the rim, basically destroying the rim--and pull into a parking lot. I calmed down and decided it would be best if I sleep in the car and head over to tires plus the next day. Went to tires plus--they told me they couldn't get a tire in until 2 days! I needed a radial tire--that was my problem. I was like F this. I called a tow truck and they wouldn't tow it. Then I pretty much swore for an hour while the Holiday Inn that I had parked at and torn up their new blacktop with the rim, told me that I need to to leave. All of a sudden the lightbulb came on. A mastercraft dealer! I went to Midwest Water Sports in Hopkins and they set me up with two complete sets and now I will never go to a different place to buy my wakeboard stuff because they pretty much saved my boat.

So anyways, moral of the story, always, always, have a spare!!!!

What's your worst story?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssippiriverrat
What's your worst story?

It's the Minneapolis traffic on 494 that makes your story especially horrifying to me.

Last year, my daughter limps our 23 foot Century Arrow (Yamaha I/O) into our lift because it won't shift - always in forward ("I don't know what happened, Daddy...I didn't do anything.."). So, I send my son with the trailer and take off for the ramp, about 5 miles across the lake. Halfway there, it overheats. I shut it down, flag down a couple of kids, who tow me to the ramp. On the slow trip there I have time to think, the scenario becomes clear - she started and tried to run the boat with the motor tilted all the way up, fried the shifter cable and shredded the raw water pump impeller. Teen agers and boats...I could go on and on, but that's a whole 'nother set of stories.

We get the boat loaded on the single axle Karavan and take off for home. Halfway there, I hear a huge racket from back there, look in the mirror and see an impressive shower of sparks from the driver side trailer wheel. I pull off and we go back to look - the wheel and tire are gone, nowhere to be seen. The lug nuts have all snapped, the trailer fender is mangled, the brake drum hub is ruined. We begin the search, found the wheel and tire having bounded across to the right shoulder into a lawn, and it has hit the rear quarter panel of a pickup truck and creased it big time. The lug nuts apparently had hit a car going the other way when they flew off, but he only stopped then drove off. With only a little imagination, you can envision a number of far more horrifying scenarios that COULD have happened in this situation.

I call the Sheriff - I work with these deputies so I'm taking an amazing amount of ribbing while we're trying to find the owner of the pickup truck - it turns out to be a friend's of mine so when he arrives, the ribbing becomes merciless. It's evening, the mosquitos are also merciless. So, finally, reports are written, photos are taken, we gotta figure out how to get the whole thing home - it needs a new brake hub, which is not an off-the-shelf item. The guy with the flatbed trailer arrives, and he winches the boat and trailer onto the flatbed - pretty slick. As he retracts the ramp, the front wheels of this big truck come off the ground - I was impressed, but the driver seems only a little concerned.

We get it home. The next morning, I begin the search for a new brake hub. Nobody's got one - I have to get it direct from Karavan. I can tell you that second-day air for 80 pounds worth of auto parts is pretty expensive (I ordered two hubs). I get the hubs changed - no big deal, and finally am able to get the boat to the dealer to get the repairs done and new fender (fender is a Fleet Farm item, as it turns out). Ultimately, I noted with my next insurance statement that this adventure has gone down as a "chargeable accident".

All-in-all, this was a pretty expensive adventure.

The moral? you can carry all the spare tires you want, but don't forget the spare right and left brake hubs, as well as the extra bearings etc, and especially, don't forget to periodically check your lug nut torque.

Last edited by bigmac; 07-16-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssippiriverrat
.....I was on interstate 494 which is about the most jam-packed road pretty much in the state.

Say no more......

The fact you had to deal with 494 is horror story enough. My sister lives in Saint Bonifacius and deals with that nightmare daily.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Ah, yes - 494. I drive it to & from work almost daily (on the west & south side of town). The construction has been a real PITA. They are almost done making it 3 lanes each direction on the west side. The east side, where it crosses the Mississippi, is still out a few years. The traffic sucks! I have to cross it to get to our semi-private lake with a course, which is woth it!
Midwest Mastercraft has now moved to Crystal, a bit farther north. Nice new big showroom, but hit and miss with parts & service, and general inquiries. Pretty good group for the most part though.
My trailer story - not too bad. Snapped off the front 3" of a leaf spring leaving the private lake. Hit a pothole going pretty slow. Stopped right away, no damage to tire or fender. Luckily had some chunks of 2X4 in the boat (that I use to prop the engine cover open slightly) that I could wedge under the remaining part of the leaf spring, and hold it all in place with the omnipotent duct tape. Trailered home just fine. Got 2 new springs at a local spring shop (didn't bother to call MC, mine's an '89), back up and running the next day for ~$100. My bro-in-law busted a leaf spring on his '99 PS trailer going about 70 on the interstate. Had get flatbed towed, new springs, tires, fender, etc. Oh well, the price we pay for fun!
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
I keep 2 spares
Old 08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Try 90/94 through chicago.... in rush hour.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190
Try 90/94 through chicago.... in rush hour.
That place is nuts!!! Where are you located.....
Old 08-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
Ah, yes - 494. I drive it to & from work almost daily (on the west & south side of town). The construction has been a real PITA. They are almost done making it 3 lanes each direction on the west side. The east side, where it crosses the Mississippi, is still out a few years. The traffic sucks!
3 lanes... Traffic? How about I-10 in West Houston.... They are in the process of expanding it to a total of 22 lanes for east and west traffic!!!

I think I'm going to retorque my lug nuts tonight!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 03:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
22 lanes! that is absolutely nuts....
Old 08-16-2005, 03:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
west, kind of near I-55, I-294, and I-88 if you can picture where they all sort of meet up.