Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none yet, researching
honest opinions please

So i know we are all biased and love MC, dont get me wrong i do too. Just curious what you all thought of Centurion's as boats? I ran across one that seems to be in decent condition and has the 350 in it for what i think is a reasonable price.

however, i have only been looking at MC's and researching those, so if anyone has first hand experience or what not on these hit me up.

Please dont flame haha already thought long and hard if i should even ask here lol

http://www.auto-rv.com/Browse.aspx?AdName=WEBDLR-581209
Old 02-15-2011, 05:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
my ex gf had a big centurion....it had a pretty terrible wake for wakeboarding. All mushy, board plowed right 'through' it, rather than 'up' it. She shook like crazy when throttled up.

otherwise idk, that's my only experiance.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190 (sold), 2003 Prostar 197 Tournament Team LQ9
picture attached...not sure what year/model it was.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
I looked at the centurion elite V when shopping for the X1, ski wake was a little softer than the X1 but wake board as above. Quality not comparable. Not a horrible product but not as built to last either.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
That thing looks like brand new! Can't comment on the ski or wakeboard wake, but at $11k asking, $10k purchase price after a little negotiating, I'd say it's a deal if it's in as good of condition as the pictures show. That rear storage is nice too (nice place to throw a fatsac).
For comparison, I sold my 96 PS 190, LT-1 engine, 500hrs, New Dimensions tower, heater shower, etc, tandem trailer a year ago for $13,500. My trailer was pretty beat up, but functional. Boat was in real good shape, but probably not quite as nice as that one unless the pics are misleading.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccobmd View Post
I looked at the centurion elite V when shopping for the X1, ski wake was a little softer than the X1 but wake board as above. Quality not comparable. Not a horrible product but not as built to last either.
I'm also loving the X-1's and XStar, 205V but all still seem to be a bit out of my price range for now. and also harder to find.

my dream is to get into a 2006 or newer X1, maybe someday

thanks for the replys so far everyone
Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
That thing looks like brand new! Can't comment on the ski or wakeboard wake, but at $11k asking, $10k purchase price after a little negotiating, I'd say it's a deal if it's in as good of condition as the pictures show. That rear storage is nice too (nice place to throw a fatsac).
For comparison, I sold my 96 PS 190, LT-1 engine, 500hrs, New Dimensions tower, heater shower, etc, tandem trailer a year ago for $13,500. My trailer was pretty beat up, but functional. Boat was in real good shape, but probably not quite as nice as that one unless the pics are misleading.
so without the tower, heater shower, and tandem trailer (this is single), and the fact its NOT a MC would be about right then at 10,999. Youre prolly right with some negotiating easily get it to $10k out the door.

not sure how i feel about the shape of the windshield. seems a bit too "bubbly" and upright for me. but for my first boat and the price, gotta make a few sacrifices
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I don't like the looks of them at all

'91 prostar 190
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25
It looks clean and cheaply priced....but what are you comparing it to and using it for? What are you going to do with it?

Have you considered an early/mid 1990s ps190 or 205 dd? I would think you could get into SOMETHING with a better wake for skiing or wakeboarding for 11K. That boat sounds nice for driving around and swimming off though.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Centurion

My buddy has a 1997 elite bowrider, similar boat. The engine runs good and it is reliable. But the quality isn't there. The windshield is falling apart. The boat shakes. The wake has a nasty rooster. It porposes under full throttle. The vinyl on the dash is peeling. The tach has failed 3 times. Seats are all backed with wood and it's starting to rot. That nose is VERY prone to taking water over the bow. Even with all of that the boat looks great from a distance. I wouldn't give more than $8000 for it.