Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Post Gas kitchen stove

Confession - I have always wondered why people on this forum talk about non-boating related topics. I never quite understood, but it also has never bothered me. After watching a couple of other off topic threads, I figured it out. There are a lot of active members on this forum that have a lot of solid experiences that they are willing to share honestly.

So, I am going to see if I can tap into that knowledge bank of experience.

We are doing a pretty substantial kitchen addition/remodel of our main house. We are getting rid of the appliances that are from 1996 and getting current . I am struggling on the gas stove and which one to get. We are looking at the professional style units (Viking, Dacor, Wolf, Miele, Jenn Air, etc) 36" unit with 6 burners. We will get a range top / cook top and place it in an island with a down draft vent. The oven is separate.

We like the look/style of the Viking range top, but Consumer Reports only rates the Vikings middle of the road. Do any of you have one of professional style stoves that you are willing to share your experience with it? These things aren't cheap, and I don't want to have buyer remorse for the next 20 years!
Old 09-28-2016, 12:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Wolf.

I have the 6 burner unit (no oven) and absolutely love it. It works flawlessly and an absolute joy to cook on. I briefly thought about the middle griddle but having six burner and no cleaning is the way to go.

My wife did NOT like the red knobs....so we switched them out to black. We've been using it for a few years and zero problems.

My dad has a big ol' Viking, 6 burner + griddle and two oven unit. I think it's 48" wide. It's nice but his griddle takes forever to warm up and when it's warm, the heat is uneven. You can only consistently cook on half of the griddle. May be the character of any high end griddle, but not for me.

I've also read about Viking Fridges. A lot of problems so I'd steer away from them. Sub Zero is the way to go for fridges. I couldn't quite justify a brand new one so actually found one on eBay. They shipped it and I installed with new cabinet panels. Just a great unit too.

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2009 X30 MCX / 2003 X2 MCX
Jenn Air 36" 4 burner / griddle. Had it in my last house and it was amazing. The griddle got used more than anything. It's chrome plated and cleans up extremely easy. The oven also had a thermometer to monitor the internal temp of your meat. Loved it and when we renovate our current home I'll be getting another one.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
We also have the JenAir dual oven and like it, but it's pretty electronic heavy. I'm a little concerned on the life expectancy and reliability. We'll see how that goes.

Dishwashers are hit and miss. We have two Kitchen Aid ones and they are performing well so far. Again, a lot of electronics so reliability is questionable. Bosch interior is typically smaller than KA and dries differently. I've heard Miele DW's are nice but very expensive.

We built the house so here are some pics and build thread:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ighlight=house

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
I have a Wolf and love it. I believe the model I got was the last year they had semi open burners. Sealed burners can't put out as many BTU's for the same burner radius. However, the igniter is protected from spills.

With sealed in particular it's all about getting the right sized burners for what you cook. You'll need at least one small one for sauces and I'd suggest at least two big ones and one medium. Some I've seen go a little ridiculous and make a sealed burner that's too large to be very useful for most home cooking. Measure your pots and make sure you're not a victim in the BTU arms race ending up with a burner that just shoots flames up the sides of your favorite pots and pans.

The Wolf oven is top notch as well. No digital controls and is as close to a professional unit as you can get yet is insulated and doesn't have pilots like a true commercial.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
We have a 48" Wolf with 6 burners, a griddle and 2 ovens. Had it since 07. Love it. Every burner is fully adjustable from 400 BTU to something like 20000.

about 3-4 years into ownership the coating on the cast iron grates started to flake off. They sent new ones no questions asked.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I currently have an older Jen Air down draft in an island. My understanding (I haven't researched this) is that JA was bought by Maytag a few years ago and newer equipment isn't what it used to be.

As far as a down draft in an island goes, well it sucks and not in a good way. The majority of the heat/vapor goes up into the kitchen and very little goes down the vent. This is even with the down draft running down the middle of the stove between the burners.

Also, we will be remodeling our kitchen later this year and will be moving the stove out of the island.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 04 210 Maristar
Wolf 4 burner with a center griddle and one oven. I looked long and hard at appliances before deciding and this was a great buy. Cleans easily, has a great simmer feature and the one I got had a scratch.... in the side which would never be seen so I got it for much less.

WOLF!!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Boat: 40th Anniversary X14
I had a jenn air in the island in one house and hated it. Like 76 said, the grease and vapors still rise. Also I just didn't like anything about the unit being in the island. I had a big kitchen with a 6' island and 8' peninsula. Just hated it in the island.

I can't comment about the higher end units. I've wired and installed plenty, but I'm slumming with a kitchen-aid gas cooktop and double oven.

'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1 (For Sale)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
plus whatever for the Wolf

I have a 48" 4 burner double oven with griddle and grill. I would recommend thinking through how you would like to use it not how you use your current stove. Thinking like this lead me to have the griddle and the grill and I use them both constantly. Grill sees everything form grilled flat breads to artichokes and the griddle is great for breakfast. It occurred to me that it would be highly unlikely that I would need 6 burners.

I did a ton of research when I bought 2 years ago and what I found is Viking quality has gone down due it being bought by a company that was trying to increase profits by cutting corners. I recall another company had just purchased it when I was buying and they where saying they would be more focused on bringing the quality back. Not sure if they have.

If you are looking at Fridges we considered the wolf 48" and the GE top end professional or signature series- cant remember the name. The GE where about 1k less than the wolf but they use one compressor where wolf uses one for the freezer and another for the fridge. we went wolf.

Also if you are thinking about getting a grill forget a down draft and generally speaking those things suck.....er don't suck....