Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Help me pick a MX Motocycle

I so want to get an MX motocycle and start riding, like yesterday. Patience is not a virtue of mine...

I never rode a dirt bike before. Just started riding street motorcycles about 1.5 years.

What's appealing to me is a) challenging myself, b) have a desire to race track but will practice a lot on trails, 2) want to do table top jumps (starting small and working from there), 3) the ability to toss the bike in the back of the truck and go do it just about anytime I want without having to worry about finding a 2nd and 3rd. 4) pushing (but staying within) my limits - can't do that on a street bike.

I found someone who does a 2 day course (supplies all equipment as extra cost item) but the next one is middle of Jan and want to start now. A couple of local acquaintances said they would go with me to get me started; get the feeling at least on would quickly become a riding buddy.

So now, what motorcycle to look for:

New vs used: not knowing that much about Mx motorcycles, don't think I want used because last thing I want is someone's problem. I'd like to save some $ and buy used but other factors may outweigh it. I'd rather spend my time riding than working on the bike.

250 vs 450 (and others): This too seems to be a cost thing. I weigh around 180lbs and even at that plan on dropping at least 10 more lbs. Seems to me that a 250 would keep me for a couple years. If I'm really into it then I can upgrade to a 450.

2 vs 4 stroke: Seems to be a power vs consistency thing.

I'm ok with having to use the clutch for power control - so maybe a 250 2 stroke would be cool for me. I was looking at a couple bikes: Honda CRF 250R and the KTM 250 SX.

Comments and advice welcome.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 12-11-2015, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: No Boat
Whatever you do, but good comfortable gear. I'm completely out of the loop on new bike technology. Have you sat on any of the 450s to see if you're comfortable with the weight?

Old 12-11-2015, 05:46 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Whatever you do, but good comfortable gear. I'm completely out of the loop on new bike technology. Have you sat on any of the 450s to see if you're comfortable with the weight?

After my Heritage Classic they all seem pretty light to me. After my v-rod, they all seem way too tall. LoL On the serious side, they all seem extremely tall. My feet barely touch the ground when sitting on them. This is of course all on the showroom floor. I guess boots will add an inch maybe to help with the height. So this brings the question of, is there really much height difference - one guy I spoke with (at the local track) said you just get use to the height.

Gear: seems to me my best investment there will be MX boots to protect the ankles and the rest down there. Yes, helmet to but that is pretty much a no brainier (excuse the pun) there.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 12-11-2015, 06:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: No Boat
I quit riding hard at 16 (14 years ago) when I broke my tibia and fibula on a 250 KTM 2stroke. I had boots, but wasn't wearing them. It was a hard lesson. Since then I've ridden a few Harleys, and street bikes. Recently bought a low HP dual sport. I'm all done being Ricky Bobby.

How tall are you? Also as your first dirt bike you will likely be laying it down. I would consider used. You usually get other upgrades with it like pipe, bars (Pro-Tapers!), etc.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft XStar
If you're just getting started a 250 will be lighter and easier to handle, start, and pick up when you lay it down. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul I'd go new. You can really beat these things up bad if you run them hard and don't keep up with proper maintenance and care.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:39 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I quit riding hard at 16 (14 years ago) when I broke my tibia and fibula on a 250 KTM 2stroke. I had boots, but wasn't wearing them. It was a hard lesson. Since then I've ridden a few Harleys, and street bikes. Recently bought a low HP dual sport. I'm all done being Ricky Bobby.

How tall are you? Also as your first dirt bike you will likely be laying it down. I would consider used. You usually get other upgrades with it like pipe, bars (Pro-Tapers!), etc.
Yes, I seen some craigslist ads where if I were to believe what is written, many upgrades owner is eating the cost. I have a friend or two who may be able to assist in me buying used.

Yes, I will be laying this bike down. For street, that is not an option. Why I want to do dirt. Although I want to contain the injuries. I just tried on some MX boots - not as much protection and support as I would have guessed. I tried on some Fox, I may look to other brands because of wanting more protection/support.

My height is 5'10" (and an extra 1/2 inch when I'm counting every bit...). When I get on one of these things my first thought is - "what, is every mx rider 6-6 ft tall?!?!"

Loosing with some dignity on track is a very viable option for me. So maybe a 250 4-stroker to start with. So that would point to the Honda CRF250R. Fuel injection over the KTM 2-stroker may be much easier to deal with as a novice.
---
---
Old 12-11-2015, 06:46 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudmanV24 View Post
If you're just getting started a 250 will be lighter and easier to handle, start, and pick up when you lay it down. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul I'd go new. You can really beat these things up bad if you run them hard and don't keep up with proper maintenance and care.

KTM 250 2-stroker - 212 lbs
Honda CRF 250R 4-stroker - 231 lbs
Honda CRF 450R 4-stroker - 245 lbs

Not a whole lot of weight difference. I could diet and make up the difference in a few weeks. LoL.

People beating them up is what worries me about used. Many caigslist adds say "just rebuilt motor..."!
---
---
Old 12-11-2015, 06:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
KTM!!! you know you want to spend the money!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
KTM!!! you know you want to spend the money!
If it were not for the extra $3K, it would be so the choice. Problem is, me being novice, will I end up just trashing it or would in the long run be worth the $3k extra. I have no problem with extra cost if I get some return in fun.
---
---
Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post

So now, what motorcycle to look for:

New vs used: not knowing that much about Mx motorcycles, don't think I want used because last thing I want is someone's problem. I'd like to save some $ and buy used but other factors may outweigh it. I'd rather spend my time riding than working on the bike.

I will argue the opposite. It's a dirt bike, you're going to crash and wreck while you get used to riding on changing terrain, you'll probably drop it on some fire roads and generally, you're going to be pretty tough on it. Do you really want to buy a new bike and then agonize over your first drop? If you're new to riding, buy used, until you really get a chance to decide what you want. Also, most bike owners don't leave their bikes stock- if you look around, you can find one that's had suspension upgrades, a larger tank, upgraded brakes, exhaust and other parts added. All those parts cost money, let the other guy take the depreciation hit and buy a well set-up bike for significantly less.
When you go look at a bike, take your time- check the engine cases for evidence of leaks, look for rust on the chain, is the bike clean, etc. If the seller didn't maintain it internally, the exterior probably won't look good either. Use your best judgement.

250 vs 450 (and others): This too seems to be a cost thing. I weigh around 180lbs and even at that plan on dropping at least 10 more lbs. Seems to me that a 250 would keep me for a couple years. If I'm really into it then I can upgrade to a 450.

2 vs 4 stroke: Seems to be a power vs consistency thing.
Yes, but it's not that simple. 2-strokes require mixing fuel and oil, although many current bikes auto-mix. The two big differences are the red vs. green sticker bikes and the way the power comes on. I can't speak categorically, but given that red vs. green is emissions related, I'd guess that many 2-strokes are red sticker, since they're slightly more polluting, and you can't ride red sticker bikes all year. Green stickers are year-round.
The second part, 2 vs 4 stroke, 4-stroke bikes may be a bit down on power, but if you're learning off-road, you might find it easier to learn control with a 4-stroke.

I'm ok with having to use the clutch for power control - so maybe a 250 2 stroke would be cool for me. I was looking at a couple bikes: Honda CRF 250R and the KTM 250 SX.

Comments and advice welcome.
And I'll leave this here: 2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke dirt bikes

G