Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-24-2004, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
Water In Bilge - Where's It Coming From?

Here's a question for you experts! I've noticed about a half-inch of water in the engine compartment after running at 30mph for a hour or so. The current prop, which will be replaced, was bent badly on all three blades when this happened and the vibration was quite noticable. Could the vibration from the bad prop be what was causing water to get past the stuffing box? Please tell me "yes" !

Two other quick details on the leak. The water only appears to leak in when the boat is in-gear -- I noticed no more water in the boat after leaving in the water for a period of time. When turning the prop manually, it turns smoothly with no sticking -- visually, shaft appears to be straight. Thanks a million!
Old 08-24-2004, 12:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988 TriStar 190
Boat Leak

My 88 TriStar leaks like a sieve at the joint where the hull and deck meet - right under the rub rail - when the wake hits it right around where I sit when driving. This is not a problem at high speed or when idling. It mostly happens at about 10 mph or in turns.

I just pump the water out when picking up a skier and drain it on the lift at the end of the day. I plan on fixing it this winter (along with a long list of other things).
Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Sounds like the stuffing box if it leaks less when not moving. The packing is supposed to leak a little, few drops per minute (evidence that it is being completely lubed by water). This doesn't sound excessive, though. Check out the front of the stuffing box for drips when in the water. This will tell you if that's where it's coming from.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 powerslot, new interior, new decals, buffed hull.
stuffing box?

I am noticing a bit of water leaking into the motor area as well. I wonder if it is time to check the packing around the shaft. Your thoughts?

James
Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Leroy

That doesn't sound excessive to me, I normally have an inch or so at the plug after couple of hours.

However I remember the first few years when there was almost nothing in the bilge, so maybe I need to look at my packing also. I've read good things about the dripless packing.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
A dry basement is a clean basement. Leaks for me are unacceptable as far as the norm. Packing doesn't need to be leaking and water does not lubricate anything of the such, deck-to-hull doesn't need to be leaking (been there too, and it liked to have driven me crazy finding the low speed leak as spoken of here). Everything should be dry and tight (but each to their own water preference and pool depth).

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
I had a similar problem on my '88 Marlin Skier (looks like a '86 MC). After a fairly severe accident involving some rocks where I lost the prop, bent the shaft and shaft strut, water end up coming into the boat (only when under power) thru the strut holes. The theory was that there was enough force on the strut to move it enough to allow water in only when power was applied to the shaft. Check the strut out.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
You may also want to check the engine over for leaking hoses or seals. My raw water pump had a leaking seal at idle, and I have had drips from the exhaust hoses as well.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Do your speedos work?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty
A dry basement is a clean basement. Leaks for me are unacceptable as far as the norm. Packing doesn't need to be leaking and water does not lubricate anything of the such, deck-to-hull doesn't need to be leaking (been there too, and it liked to have driven me crazy finding the low speed leak as spoken of here). Everything should be dry and tight (but each to their own water preference and pool depth).

So you're in support of dripless packing? Clearly, with a traditional stuffing box, you want some water in your bilge after an hour of running the boat.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.