Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
X14V Stereo Help Needed

I just ordered a new X14V and need some thoughts on the stereo. I am coming from a '94 205 that barely could play the radio so I am new to the stereo thing ...

Some questions:

- I am thinking 2 Wet Sounds Pro 80's on the tower ... do I need 4 or 2 enough
- Do I need to upgrade the in-boat speakers?
- Coming without a sub ... do I need one?
- Does the Clarion standard head unit interface with ipods?
- I know I need to upgrade/add amp's ... thoughts on how muh power and brand?
- I am going to get the spped controled volume

I will have the stero installed for me but I do not want to get cheap gear or get talked into anything that will not be funstional/

We are skiers that our kids are getting into surfing and hydrofoils. They want music they can hear while surfing/wakeboarding/foiling, this is why I am thinking the Wetsounds.

Thanks for any input ....
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I'm no expert but everyone with the wetsounds raves about them.

It used to be that a stereo, amp, and sub were standard in the X series. I guess that changed?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
MC Devotee

You can now order without which is nice ...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
What are you getting with the boat? I think 2 Pro 80s would be fine. I would also look at the wetsounds amp to push your tower speakers. The in the boat speakers are good. I am running the stock JLs and love them. One thing to think about is to be able to fade/control the volume to the tower speakers. I did this by adding a PAC-1 controller and I love it. I can turn off the volume to the in the boat speakers and just have the sub and tower speakers cranking for the rider. This allows me to hear people in the boat talking to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
So you have a head unit and 4 JL 7.7" cockpit speakers right now?
The cockpit speakers will crank with 100-150W RMS per channel. I have 75W/ch going to my bow speakers and they're plenty loud and clear, but would take more power if I had it, and 150W/ch bridged to the 2 rear cockpit speakers and they sound great.
A good quality 10 or 12" sealed/tuned sub with the appropriate Class D amp will give you alot of bass without having to mess with the tuning of a custom sub install.
Never heard Pro 80s in person, but at 200W RMS/400W peak I can't imagine you'd need more than 2 of them. Pair them with a good quality 2 channel amp that is rated at 150-200W/ch RMS @ 4ohm and they will crank.

Make sure that the power supply and distribution is up to the task of the additional load, ie adequate wiring size, fuse blocks, distribution blocks, 2nd or 3rd battery depending how much you want to sit with the engine off and crank tunes (2 good batteries is enough IMO for what I mentioned above unless you plan on sitting at the sand bar all day with the music loud), charging relay for the batteries, etc.
I personally wouldn't be worried about using marine amps unless your boat is in a humid environment, stored on the lake, etc. If it stays relatively "dry", good quality car audio amps will be fine.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC XStar 2002 310
The pods on the pro 80s are huge. To be honest I really dont like the way they look on a boat they are really big. However I have only seen them on a 20ft x2. Just did not look right. However if powered properly two should be fine. I run the exile products in my boat and love their stuff. I have 4 XM7's tower speakers on my boat running the harpoon amp. I like the XM7's because of how easily I can remove them one nut and they pop right off so they are not out in the weather or when boat is not in the garage speakers come off in about 3 minutes and are inside. Definitely get a sub. I would get a sub before I got tower speakers probably the single most important addition to my boat. Its a 12" in a sealed box with a 600x1 exile amp running it. Wet sounds put out a great product and people love them. After lots of research I went Exile and just like anything else its subjective but I prefer their product. It would be worth giving Brian at exile a call or shooting him an email. brian.exile@gmail.com or http://www.exilecaraudio.com/marine/

Good luck and enjoy the boat!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
MC Devotee

Thanks for all the feedback ... great stuff. I really like the sound of the 80's but they are big and do not look like the factory cans. The factory cans do not sound very good at the end of the line IMO.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
X14v

Welcome to the club! Feels like we are getting enough x14v regulars on the forum that we might be able to start our own thread!

Love the JL system that came with our boat. We went with two on the tower. They are fine wakeboarding--you can't hear them skiing.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have the Wet Sounds Double Up package which is a pair of 80's and a pair of 60's running off a 2 channel JL amp. Probably over kill but as tony Stark says overkill has been vastly under rated.

The standard JL speakers in the boat sound great as does the standard JL sub that MasterCraft installs for my use. I would highly recommend a second battery if you're going to upgrade to a two amp system and spend any time at the local sand bar hitting the tunes. I have same dual battery set up as Thrall that automatically adjusts the charging between batteries. It's well worth the investment.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'll agree to the fact the factory JL 7s are fine. Just make sure they are not all wired to just two channels. I think that brings them down to about 18 watts per speaker. If you get them on their own channel on the six channel amp it should be around 75 watts per speaker and they do sound really good. Same for the 10 inch JL sub, get it some clean power and it sounds great.

Tower speakers, there are few wetsound Pro 80 videos on youtube.com. I think with 200 watts per you would be more then loud enough on some Pro 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs

I do not like the Clarion head units. I just installed an Alpine CDA 118M with new remotes.