Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X25
Fentong, so glad I could help you pull the trigger on new skins. It did wonders for my old ps190.
Regarding the stripes, they all line up perfectly, although in the pic, the cushion wasn't centered on the bench, and the bench was slightly angled for the pic, giving the appearance that the stripes were off. They arent though.

I didn't use a steamer or glue gun, just the staple and was careful to pull the vinyl with a little even tension. The vinyl is tough and won't rip easily. I'm not sure what the steamer or heat gun would do differentntly....as long as the skins are warm to indoor temp when you staple them on, but I've read that some people used them.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 230 VRS 350TBI
SWeaver, thanks for the reply and I'm glad to hear that the stripes line up and you are happy with the result. I'm also glad to hear that the material is heavy duty and should last for a few years.

Fantastic, now I just need to take the skins off my rear hatch covers and get it packaged and in the mail.

Does anyone know whether 20 gauge staples are equivalent to Arrow T50 style staples or are they heavier? The staples that were used at the factory are very light, but great quality as they were all intact with no visible corrosion although I do realize that they are stainless. I would assume these factory staples are 20 or 22 Ga.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Not sure how t50 compares to 20g. Can't help you there. But, I will say, the skins took awhile to arrive....so if you send them in mid Feb, you may not get them until may, so I'd get going if you plan on getting out early season. Although maybe they're quicker this time of year. Mine took about 3 months or so but that was over the holidays and they had to find special fabric to match.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2005
Fentong: Not sure the T50's will resist rust and corrosion, I would double check this if I were you. I've never undertaken a project like this, just my 2cents......

SWeaver: Great work, those look awesome thanks for sharing!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fentong View Post
Does anyone know whether 20 gauge staples are equivalent to Arrow T50 style staples or are they heavier? The staples that were used at the factory are very light, but great quality as they were all intact with no visible corrosion although I do realize that they are stainless. I would assume these factory staples are 20 or 22 Ga.
You can get Monel staples for your Arrow T50. Monel resists corrosion better than stainless and is used in other parts like marine driveshafts.

http://www.arrowfastener.com/product/t50-monel-staples-item-505m1z

Stainless steel is also available at about half the price.

http://www.arrowfastener.com/product...es-item-504ss1
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
don't guess you have pictures of the finished skin install into the boat?

we took our boat ('04 X2) out last Friday and I noticed the skins starting to crack at the seams in a couple of spots on the rear deck. was thinking of contacting "mastercraftskins" to see what just the three rear deck skins would cost (and how long it would take). I should have taken notes a few months back when this originally was posted... I might prefer to wait until end of season to not have any down time.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1992, 285hp
Thanks for the post, the quality looks great. I had planned to send mine to copycat, but they are not answering phone calls or responding to email now. I will give these guys a call today.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
What was the time frame like?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

I dont have any installed pics, but i can get some this weekend.

I forget how long it took when i ordered last fall...but it would probably be different now anyways.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I had my wife call them yesterday to check on replacement skins for the rear deck panels ... but she didn't remember what the specs / year was on our boat ('04 X2) ... but she was of the opinion we would wait till the end of season (late fall) to not have any down time (since the season is already upon us here in Central TX)...

Have any of you ever done replacement skins yourself on similar rear decks? I haven't taken the time to look at ours in enough depth to determine if it's something I would take on.