Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 07-13-2005, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Fins or finless?

Watching 45th masters on TiVo and noticed Harf and Parks didn't have fins on their boards...should we remove the fins? Is that my problem?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Yeah.I'm sure that's your problem Go ahead and remove em
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
Really depends on the board, and your riding level. If you have any type of molded fins on the board, I would suggest trying it finless. Removing the fins will obviously loosen up the board quite a bit, easier to do surface spins etc... I try to get newbies to ride finless because it promotes proper edging. You have to be on edge, and not rely on your fin. Will it make you ride like PArks & Harf, I doubt it
Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Cheecher

I was riding the 03 Hyperlite Premiere (Danny Harfs board) and I took the center fins off. I loved it. It had molded fins, so it still tracked, but you do have to learn proper edge taking them off. I remember the first time I did, it felt super fast, and I could not land a thing. So I put them back on like a woos, but then took them off again later, and have never looked back.

I am now riding the 05 Parks 140, simply because I really did the abrupt rocker on it, and the way it feels coming off of the wake. It did not come with center fins, but I did go to smaller fins on the 4 corners.

I think one of the biggest benefits of no center fin, or smaller fins is the the landings are a lot more forgiving for me. I have come down on a few tricks some kind of nasty, and if I would have had the stock fins, or larger fins on, I would have eaten it. They have for sure allowed me to pull out of some sloppy landings, and I am sure it has prevented some injury to the knees. Of course you may fall on your butt and face a bit more in the begining, but hang tough, and you will reap the benefits soon.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars and Stripes
Ive been meaning to try that 05 Parks board out. I think the fin setup is a happy medium. Parks generates so much speed so his boards must track well - I feel thats why he goes for more than just the molded. I also want to see how I like the 3 stage rocker. I think the biggest downside to not having the center fin option is for rougher water. Between the 3 stage and the small fins, thats gotta be rough in the chop right?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:37 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Forgive my ignorance but why would having fins be a bad thing at all? Wouldn't you want them to cut hard towards the wake?

MC's owned:
1986 Skier 19
1995 ProStar 190
2003 X-7
1994 ProStar 205 (current)
Old 07-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Cheecher

Well, I guess it depends on how much chop you are talking about. I guess it gets to a point where if it is too much chop, I get back in the boat, fins or no fins. But I like riding in a slight chop. It gets enough air under the board where you can cut as fast as you want fairly easy.

jrandol - I guess the point is that you learn how to edge without fins, and your landings are a little more forgiving. If you have some big honking fins, and you come down wrong, then you really dont have a chance of pulling out of the trick, and may hurt yourself. Versus learning how to edge without them, and having less drag on the board, and possibly sliding out a few rough landings instead of catching a hard edge, and tweaking your knee or something.

Make any sense?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 Prostar 205
Tried finless and it felt VERY slippery. Similar to going from long skiis to trick skiis. I was all over the place. I put the fins back on that night, but will try again when I have more time to experiment.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
when i wakeboard the fins are always on, but wake skating they are usually off

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Ok so this conversation is going in two places at once--might as well get close to devotee

Just thought I would add my

Like everyone said before, the center fin is great for beginners while you are learning how to get up and navigate on the board; however, I would say that once you start to get good air and want to start doing tricks--the big center fin is not as good. There are a couple of reasons for this:

First off when you are learning a progessive edge it is important to rely on the actual edge and not the center fin to cut, as the speed you generate comes from the aggressiveness of the cut and not center fin turning.

Second, landings are many times easier without a big center fin--this may seem counterintuitive as the landing will be slippier but you will once you get used to this you will be able to pull out more uncertain landings (where the board isn't in the best landing position).

Third, there is less of a chance of getting hurt due to the slippier landings--the board will be less likely to land and grip to the water.

Finally, it will be much easier to learn surface tricks--butterslide, surface 360 etc.

I like fins that are on the edge to give strong grip going to the wake. If you are already getting air, I would suggest a board with either molded or edge fins.