Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X-Star
Broken Ignition Module on X-Star

I have 2002 X-Star with a Vortec 310 HP EFI. The other weekend I was on the lake cruising along when suddenly my boat began to bog out and lose power. I pulled back on the throttle and I don't remember whether I turned it off or it just cut off. When I attempted to start it back up it sounded fine but just wouldn't crank up. I got towed back to the dock and tried it every couple hours the rest of the day.

The next morning a local repairman took a look at it. First he checked to see if it was getting fuel and he said it was. Then he checked the distributor cap and rotor and they were very corroded. He said I needed to replace them but he didn't have those parts. However, he determined that the main problem was that the ignition module had failed. He found a used one and installed it, and sure enough it fired right up.

Everything ran fine for about 20 minutes. Then while I was cruising around at around 25 mph, the boat began to bog out again and make some funny noises. I immediately backed off the throttle and this time kept it from shutting off. It ran fine in idle, but when I would try to accelerate it would lose power and begin to bog out.

The local repairman said that if I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and ignition module that my problems should be solved. However, the mechanic at Mastercraft, when I told him what happened, said he thought it might be a bigger deal - like something to do with the fuel pump. I decided to just order the parts the local repairman told me to order and just wait and see if that fixes the problem. I kind of got the vibe from the mastercraft dude that I was an idiot if I thought the repairman's advice was right.

Anyone have any ideas about this problem? I would really appreciate any advice you could give.