Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X2 350MCX
Send a message via ICQ to TalleyHo Send a message via MSN to TalleyHo Send a message via Yahoo to TalleyHo
X2 master cylinder cap removal

Anyone have any good ideas on removing the master cylinder cap? The trailer is a 2003 Remington. Among the many other things broken on my trailer, the geniuses at Remington (I think -- it has a circle with an R in the center) decided to put a plastic cap on a painted trailer. I'm assuming the brake fluid has bonded the two together. Last time, I had to completely destroy the trailer cap to get it off to change the brake fluid. I'd like to find a more professional manner to remove the cap.

We recently went to the lake, and it was so low, and the ramp so poor, that the bumper was underwater. I'm sure the cap leaked since it will also not seal very well (yea - fpos). I'm thinking if I can salvage this cap, then I'll put some teflon tape on it to prevent this from happening next time. But that doesn't help me much this time.

There is a small key slot that might help, but everytime I've gotten a screwdriver or chisel that seemed big enough, it just mangled the plastic. I've tried pliers - destroyed. Even the soft wrenches won't grab it quite strong enough to move it. Any other ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalleyHo
Anyone have any good ideas on removing the master cylinder cap? The trailer is a 2003 Remington. Among the many other things broken on my trailer, the geniuses at Remington (I think -- it has a circle with an R in the center) decided to put a plastic cap on a painted trailer. I'm assuming the brake fluid has bonded the two together. Last time, I had to completely destroy the trailer cap to get it off to change the brake fluid. I'd like to find a more professional manner to remove the cap.

We recently went to the lake, and it was so low, and the ramp so poor, that the bumper was underwater. I'm sure the cap leaked since it will also not seal very well (yea - fpos). I'm thinking if I can salvage this cap, then I'll put some teflon tape on it to prevent this from happening next time. But that doesn't help me much this time.

There is a small key slot that might help, but everytime I've gotten a screwdriver or chisel that seemed big enough, it just mangled the plastic. I've tried pliers - destroyed. Even the soft wrenches won't grab it quite strong enough to move it. Any other ideas?
I am not sure what to tell you. I wouldn't think the plastic is affected at all by the brake fluid, if anything it might soften it. Try anti-seize instead the teflon tape.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

Well, I have a better answer for you since I had catasrophic issues with my triler brakes locking up on me. I took a small hammer and a block of wood and taped the entire perimeter with it. Then I took a very small screw driver and ran it around the perimeter of the cap. Took a very large set of channel locks and was able to turn it. Scuffed the paint on it a bit with the channel locks, but it worked. Hopefully if I even get an answer how to fix my trailer I will be able to get it off again this weekend.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:

ok are you sure that there is water in there now?
I'm thinking about that situation and I'd be more worried about water having seeped into the rear axle of my truck if I was that deep in the water(FYI I have experienced ramps like that)
Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
ok are you sure that there is water in there now?
I'm thinking about that situation and I'd be more worried about water having seeped into the rear axle of my truck if I was that deep in the water(FYI I have experienced ramps like that)
Poor design, there really isn't a good way to keep the water out.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 PM
TT Regular

Send a message via ICQ to TalleyHo Send a message via MSN to TalleyHo Send a message via Yahoo to TalleyHo
I finally got my cap off -- I went the brute force route and took a screw driver and hammer, and managed to get it turning. The liquid inside was muddy water - nearly coffee like -- definitely the opposite of clear. I put a bottle of new brake fluid thru it and it got most of it out. I neededto do a little more, but I ran out of fluid.

I put teflon tape on it this time, so we'll see how it holds up. The cap doesn't fit tightly against the trailer, there is about a 1/16" gap between the cap and the trailer, so its like there isn't a good seal on the MC. But, I wasn't low on fluid either, so that makes me think the seal is fairly decent.

This 03 trailer, and my boat in general, have been the biggest disappointment ever. I'm thankful for the people here that are long time MC owners and mechanics that can help me thru owning this boat, but I'll be purchasing a Malibu or Supra next time. Looking back, the 'service' I got from the dealer was a bunch of lip service - I should have played the dick customer and not accepted 'well, sometimes these things happen' instead of being the nice guy.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:52 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I finally got my cap off -- I went the brute force route and took a screw driver and hammer, and managed to get it turning. The liquid inside was muddy water - nearly coffee like -- definitely the opposite of clear. I put a bottle of new brake fluid thru it and it got most of it out. I neededto do a little more, but I ran out of fluid.

I put teflon tape on it this time, so we'll see how it holds up. The cap doesn't fit tightly against the trailer, there is about a 1/16" gap between the cap and the trailer, so its like there isn't a good seal on the MC. But, I wasn't low on fluid either, so that makes me think the seal is fairly decent.

This 03 trailer, and my boat in general, have been the biggest disappointment ever. I'm thankful for the people here that are long time MC owners and mechanics that can help me thru owning this boat, but I'll be purchasing a Malibu or Supra next time. Looking back, the 'service' I got from the dealer was a bunch of lip service - I should have played the dick customer and not accepted 'well, sometimes these things happen' instead of being the nice guy.
Sorry to hear you had some bad dealer experiences. I will say, good luck with the other brands, but don't be afraid to admit you were wrong after the switch. The trailers sure could use some design improvements.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
TT Regular

I've got some friends with one of each -- so far, the Supra has held up the best wrt quality. The 'bu had some issues w/ the gel coat, and some internal plumbing issues, but by and far, they have not had the poor quality/design issues that I've been going thru. The next few years will be interesting to see which of the three hold up the best in the long run.