Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I actually store mine with the rear hatch open about 3-4" to keep the engine compartment ventilated. So, it failed with it open enough that I could get in there and pull the pin.

Maristar Man had an interesting setup with a strap that could pull the pin in the event of an actuator failure in the closed position in one of his other posts.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
I have had the boat for about 4 years now and I have never closed the hatch on the pull strap. Not saying it can't happen, but it is not much of a concern for me.]
I didn't have a good mental picture of how it would install. That metal bracket looks like it would keep the strap where it needs to be under most circumstances.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm strongly considering going that route.

I would convert it to 3 piece in and ideal world but that would be a lot more involved.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
I didn't have a good mental picture of how it would install. That metal bracket looks like it would keep the strap where it needs to be under most circumstances.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm strongly considering going that route.

I would convert it to 3 piece in and ideal world but that would be a lot more involved.
Well, it doesn't look like those latches typically include that strap "keeper" that KDR shows in his pics. Is this a MasterCraft part?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Here's the Emergency strap I made...

I used some of the extra webbing I had left over for the Bimini. I wanted to make a simple, works-every-time, release in case of emergency.

After measuring, I sewed both sides of the straps and burned the ends. Yes my sewing skills are fleating...lol!

In the middle of the strap I have about 2" doubled over and sewn with one thread. This will break when pulled and give me the extra length to pull the end of the strap which is sewn into sunpad edge.

Here is the Strap, which i can access by cutting a few threads...
I have subsequently colored the white thread black.

I have more webbing available if anyone wants some... PM me

I do however, like the sun-pad latches I have seen on this thread. It does take too long when on the water and people want to get into the cooler back there...

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 11-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
MC Devotee

KDR, are the pics you're posting from your '99 205V that you have listed in you profile? Do you know if that was the factory setup?

I found this on mymastercraft:
http://mymastercraft.com/product_det...oduct=Brackets

It's described as "LATCH SUNDECK KEEPER PS 205V 99". I emailed them for further clarification on what the part is but it sounds promising.

Aside from reliability and speed removing the actuator would make access to the port side of the engine much easier too. I avoid messing with that side whenever possible because I have to find something to prop the deck up with and remove my actuator to flip down that partition. It will also be better when I get larger ballast bags back there because I won't have to worry about them rubbing on the actuator.

With the exception of the "bling" factor when I take n00bs out on my boat the only other advantage I can think of is that it's easy to open it partially for storage. I'd have to setup a strap to hold it at about 3" open.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostat 205, 275 hp
I'm pretty sure that my setup is factory. There are no holes in the floor or underside of the sundeck where the actuator would mount to.

1994 Prostar 205
1999 Prostar 205V
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
interesting post jeff d. watching to see what happens. may need to consider for our Maristar.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr View Post
I'm pretty sure that my setup is factory. There are no holes in the floor or underside of the sundeck where the actuator would mount to.
Ok, thanks. I was in the aftermarket modification mindset and initially assumed that your setup was aftermarket until I started seeing OEM parts that seemed to coincide with the '99 205V.

Hopefully MyMastercraft can help me figure out which parts I need to duplicate your latch setup. It looks like the worst case for the latch is about $50. The gas shocks and mounting hardware for one side should be less than $50 also.

If I go this route I'll be sure to post part numbers here once I get everything straight.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30, MCX 350
Jeff-

I had this happen to me last year. I got lucky and found one on ebay and took a chance for $100 - the model numbers were different but it turned out to be the exact same actuator. Look on ebay at linear actuators - there are a bunch out there.

Once I got the new one, we dismantled and lubed up the old one and it now also works fine (so that may work for yours...).

With respect to how you get it open, I removed the battery and got my head and one arm through the hole behind the battery with a rod and wedged the pin out that way (trip to the chiropractor). PITA but got er done.

If it would help, I can try to climb in the boat later and take a pic of the specs on the new one - I think it had a plate on it.

Where are you located in the SE? I also have 00 230v - on Lake Sinclair, GA.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Old 01-14-2011, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
BUMP

Jeff d, did you ever complete this project?