Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Powerslot (sold). Looking for a Maristar or 205
What should I look for in sea trial? 2001 Prostar 205V

I have the opportunity to buy a 2001 205V with only 95 hours on it. It has been in covered storage, but I am a little leery of a 15 year old boat having only 95 hours (seals & gaskets drying up etc.).
I have done a walk/climb around on the boat and found the obvious stuff; radio doesn't work, lift pistons on the hatches have lost pressure, a scratch or two in the hull.
Are there any problematic things with this model year that I should look for in a water test and before I make my offer?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Use the checklist on the website and go through a thorough inspection with it as your guide.

As to what to watch out for, I'd keep an eye on engine temp as impeller may be in need of replacement. Also check for water in engine or transmission after running for a bit. Boat is pretty reliable but a number of folks have experienced issues with the gauges with is typically caused by the medallion box going bad. Replacements are probably still available from the Mfg but pricey ($600).

We have the same model/year you are looking at and it has been stone reliable and a great do-it-all type boat- allows skiing, wake boarding, and surfing. They are one of the most popular hulls (x-star is just a better optioned 205v hull up until ~2004 when they went to the pickle fork version). A little tight with more than 6 adults is one of the few drawbacks.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1982 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes Powerslot (sold). Looking for a Maristar or 205
Where is this checklist you speak of?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaff View Post
Where is this checklist you speak of?
I think he's referring to Doug's write-up: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...4&postcount=47
Old 01-04-2016, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Here is what I would check just to make sure...

pull the dip stick before you go anywhere... look at it... clean? no white?

Drain plugs on motor are they corroded? for sure have them put in a new impeller... you don't want to water test and have to paddle back to shore, of course if you over heat it then you might have an issue too.. ask if it has ever been over heated...

make sure you can drift back if it does over heat

check the prop, strut, and fins. Look at the alignment does the shaft go into the hull in the middle? Does it look like they have been removed? Make sure they are straight... look for leaking around the strut... is the steering smooth?

look for oil in the bilge... make sure you get it up to temp.. run it at WOT for a while slow down shut it off then turn it back on.. let it sit for about 2 min and start again... then do the same thing run it around 35mph or so for a while then let it sit about 5 min start it...

then have fun... I got mine with 185 hours on it 3 years ago so about the same... if they ran it every year for a hour or so that is better than sitting for 5 years... of course price in any of those fixes ...

other issue with those is the vinyl even if it looks great (mine did) after about 3 years it will start to show... even if you 303 it and love it

Good luck!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
I would test it in a lake and not the sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Use the checklist on the website and go through a thorough inspection with it as your guide.

As to what to watch out for, I'd keep an eye on engine temp as impeller may be in need of replacement. Also check for water in engine or transmission after running for a bit. Boat is pretty reliable but a number of folks have experienced issues with the gauges with is typically caused by the medallion box going bad. Replacements are probably still available from the Mfg but pricey ($600).

We have the same model/year you are looking at and it has been stone reliable and a great do-it-all type boat- allows skiing, wake boarding, and surfing. They are one of the most popular hulls (x-star is just a better optioned 205v hull up until ~2004 when they went to the pickle fork version). A little tight with more than 6 adults is one of the few drawbacks.
^^^ I agree ^^^

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 PS 190
A couple of other things to check are proper operation of the ballast system if so equipped, and pay close attention to oil in the bilge like curver900 said, particularly transmission oil. Those V drives are more prone to leak then standard transmissions
Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

It's interesting that y'all mention oil in the bilge... There is or has been anyway.
The dealer claims it was a leaky split drain plug gasket that someone tightened too far. What are common oil sources (other than what would be expected). Do these have main seal, oil pan, valve cover leaks that would be uncommon with other models? What about the V-drive? Where do they leak? Input/output shafts, gear selector seal?
I had an '83 S&S and can deal with a little residue in the bilge after a day of boating; I'm concerned about potential - $$$$$
Old 01-05-2016, 01:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan View Post
I would test it in a lake and not the sea.
... Lake Trial...
Jack @$$

Tags
205v, defects, sea trial