Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
possible carb issue?

I have a 93 prostar and went out this weekend. After a couple of hours of speed between 25
mph to 35 mph I slowed the boat and it seem to skip at slower speeds. It also hestiated and lightly lurched some getting back up to speed in the same range. Does anyone have any ideas of what the cause could be? Has anyone had a similar experience?
Thanks,
Hatch
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Someone should be along to answer this....Bump
Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
It may well be a carb or fuel issue, but I strongly recommend checking a few basics first as it could be ignition related. What is the status of the following:
Spark plugs
Distributor cap & rotor
Fuel filter
timing
Do you have electronic ignition in this?
How much have you used it this year?
Do you treat your fuel with a stabilizer over winter?

$99 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBURETORS - $235 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-18-2016, 11:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
^this ^ also, was this your first outing? Possibly bad gas, especially if it's ethanol. If that's the case, yes you probably need a rebuild. thatsmrmastercraft can help you out. But also check the basics he mentioned.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:34 PM
TT Regular

Thanks guys. I have used the winterization program from here with a full tank of gas and Stabil as instructed. I think it started last summer so I ran the gas out and refilled. I have been out a couple of times this year once before Saturday. I keep fuel stabilizer in the tank year round. How can I tell if it is an electronic ignition? Are there any specific issues that you may have seen if it is electronic? or isn't? I'll be back at the lake in a couple of weeks to check the plugs, distributor Etc. Any thing else to consider?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:12 AM
MC Devotee

Take the distributor cap off to tell which ignition you have. If it's electronic, it works or it don't. I have seen one system fail that only a few cylinders fired, but it will be consistent. If it's points, it's a good idea to change them every year or two. I really think from your symptoms, it's carb related, but never rule out the ignition system.

If you've never had the carb rebuilt and it'll be a few weeks before using, I would recommend letting Peter go through it. Consider it insurance for a great summer!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

How old is the carb? If you don't know, how long have you had the boat?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Take the distributor cap off to tell which ignition you have. If it's electronic, it works or it don't. I have seen one system fail that only a few cylinders fired, but it will be consistent. If it's points, it's a good idea to change them every year or two. I really think from your symptoms, it's carb related, but never rule out the ignition system.

If you've never had the carb rebuilt and it'll be a few weeks before using, I would recommend letting Peter go through it. Consider it insurance for a great summer!
Actually not quite as simple as that. People tend to think that once the electronic ignition is installed that there is nothing needed after that but that isn't true. You don't have the maintenance of changing and adjusting points and timing, but you do need to periodicity check to see that you are getting full battery voltage to the coil. Boats are notorious for developing corrosion at the electrical connections. Less than 11.5 volts at the coil + is unacceptable.

And thanks for the kind recommendation for my carb work.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch7 View Post
Thanks guys. I have used the winterization program from here with a full tank of gas and Stabil as instructed. I think it started last summer so I ran the gas out and refilled. I have been out a couple of times this year once before Saturday. I keep fuel stabilizer in the tank year round. How can I tell if it is an electronic ignition? Are there any specific issues that you may have seen if it is electronic? or isn't? I'll be back at the lake in a couple of weeks to check the plugs, distributor Etc. Any thing else to consider?
You are on the right track. Attached are pics of points and electronic ignition distributors so you can identify what you have. Post a picture of your distributor with the cap off if you have any confusion.

Also post a picture of your carburetor with the flame arrestor removed. You may have a Holley 4010 carb which isn't worth spending any efforts to rebuild. If you have a Holley 4160 you are in a position to have a rebuild done if it's determined your carb needs it.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 PM
TT Regular

I have had the boat for 5 years and have not replaced the carb.