Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Do you oil spray your vehicel for rust protection?

The past couple of years I have been having my vehicle oil sprayed for rust protection and the guy who does it is making a fortune. He uses brand new oil, but I am not sure whether it is simply 15w40 or if it is hydraulic oil, does anyone know what is commonly used?
I am thinking of doing this on my own next year and truthfully I would love to know how you avoid EPA issues with this type of business? Any ideas? People have said in the past that since it is new oil that is being sprayed it is acceptable since it is naturally what comes out of the earth, but I am not sure I buy this and I really do not want to find out the hard way.

Any advice or experience you can share would be appreciated. I sense that Captain Planet may have something to say about this!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Well that's a new one. I was under the impression that rust was pretty much a thing of the past on well made cars less than 6 years old. I just sold a 2002 Mustang with 159K on it and there was no rust on it at all. Both my 06 F150 and 06 mustang are spotless and I live in Michigan where our state vehicle is the salt truck. Sounds like you're paying to get the muffler bearings tightened to me.

Past the does it work or is it a scam aspect. I can't see how spraying oil all over the car can be good for the environment. That oil is going to make it back to either a lake, stream or ground water at some point. Besides how long can that protection last? I would think that within a month that protective oil would have washed off.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I've heard of it but don't know any one who has done it. Seems to be used a lot in Canada.
I thought it was a waxed based solution, not actually an automotive oil that was sprayed??
Old 11-22-2010, 01:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Undercoat is one thing, but oil spray? Sounds like a recipe for a fire to me. Dirt sticking to the oil would be pretty messy. Then if the exhaust gets hot enough...
Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Undercoat is one thing, but oil spray? I can't imagine they would use regular oil. Unless it's the sticky consistency of something like fogging oil, it sounds like a recipe for a fire to me. Dirt sticking to the oil would be pretty messy. Then if the exhaust gets hot enough...
Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Around our area it has become very popular, although not many people offer it on a commercial level. The benefits, as I have been told, are that the oil remains in the doors, body panels frame, etc. and gets into places that traditional undercoating did not. In addition, I have heard the argument that when undercoating is penetrated by moisture it is then trapped against the body and quickly rusts, whereas the oil simply repels the water. That being said, the rule of thumb is to keep the vehicle completely dry for at least 2-3 days following the spraying so that it does not wash off and typically I have found that even after a good hard winter the frame still has an oily residue on it. They actually advise that you drive down a dusty dirt road after having it done to help the oil adhere better.
The reality of this in our area is that the guy who sprays mine does it on Saturday and Sunday only starting at 7am and finishing at 4pm for September, October and November. He averages roughly 100 vehicles per day at an average cost of $50/vehicle....you do the math. He has been doing this since 1981 and people start lining up at 3:30am to have it done with a lineup of over 60 cars by 7am.
I am not suggesting that one jumps off a bridge just because everyone else does, I am just saying that there is something to it and I want to know what it is. So far, my vehicles have been rust free since doing this. I fully realize the possible environmental impact and would like to know if this can be legally done in the eyes of the EPA.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
well....

Just bad luck with fords rotting out so darn quickly in Wisconsin....

We spray the inner doors, inner fenders, tailgates, etc, then POR15 the frame, rubber coat everything under the truck (except suspension and etc -those get black paint), and they still rust like crazy (And i wash mine every week). The ol big red dodge (1999) barely had a spot on it (but bought it new and washed it weekly). The 2005 Ford F250 is already showing quite a few signs of rust but....bought used not new.

Other people I know use Rusty Jones or similiar still....Any coworkers husband does the oil spray technique under the truck evey year....

cj
Old 11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 Prostar 197, MCX
They spray planes to ward off rust and corrosion in a similar fashion. A couple of brands: CorrosionX, Boeshield, LPS, ACF-50. Since the use of these is prevalent in aviation and marine environments, would assume a dovetail into autos has some merit.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1988 351 Wheezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPlane Pilot View Post
They spray planes to ward off rust and corrosion in a similar fashion. A couple of brands: CorrosionX, Boeshield, LPS, ACF-50. Since the use of these is prevalent in aviation and marine environments, would assume a dovetail into autos has some merit.
Served 25 Years in Coast Guard aviation, agree definitely with C Plane. Constantly had to spray the planes down with ACF, 8139, Corrosion X, and wash the bird every day especially when deployed on the back of a Cutter

Have a Datsun 240z that I had brought down to PR, used ACF-50 in the rockers inside of the doors any place that looked like it could be a moisture trap. Brought the Z back after 3 years of driving every day down there with no evidence of rust.

Definitely a help to use these products as well as cleanliness and plenty of washing and cleaning to keep ahead of the corrosion
Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
I have the same problem with my 2004 F150 in Michigan... It rusted in the first few years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post
Just bad luck with fords rotting out so darn quickly in Wisconsin....

We spray the inner doors, inner fenders, tailgates, etc, then POR15 the frame, rubber coat everything under the truck (except suspension and etc -those get black paint), and they still rust like crazy (And i wash mine every week). The ol big red dodge (1999) barely had a spot on it (but bought it new and washed it weekly). The 2005 Ford F250 is already showing quite a few signs of rust but....bought used not new.

Other people I know use Rusty Jones or similiar still....Any coworkers husband does the oil spray technique under the truck evey year....

cj