Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Skin to win!!!!!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Skipper

My little girl got me a set of Radar Locks for my birthday. Tried them on the water today (air 54 water 49). They are going to take some getting used to. You can feel how the strap and the dowel transfer the pull from your forearms to your wrist. I kept getting hung up in the gloves when I was trying to release. I tried with the dowel pins out and it was even worse. I hope that with a few more sets I'll learn to free myself from the handle. Didn't notice whether or not my forearms were less tired than usual because the air temp was falling quickly. Probably should have wished for the Masterline kevlar gloves. Live and learn.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
If you get a few more sets, let me know how you like them.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Last season was my first time on a ski in a long time, and I found I just don't have the grip strength to hold on. Would gloves like the ones discussed here that are supposed to transfer some of the force to the arms help?
On a similar note, any suggestions on how to strengthen my grip? Exercises I could do?
Greg
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Clinchers are nice to help with fatigue... My problem is 50 year old lungs.... Maybe some cross-training? Nah... Beer me!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
I have the Radar ones with this dowel concept. I love the concept but the Radar sizing is messed up. I feel like OJ putting mine on.

I have since tried on the Masterline ones you listed and they fit much truer to regular guys sizes. They do exactly what they are advertized as and I don't think I will ever go back to regular gloves again.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Looks like I'll have to see if I can find a place around me to try them out.
Epnault- did you find the Radar sizing to run larger or smaller? I have a feeling I may have to mail-order, so it'd be nice to have a reference point for sizing.
G
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Skipper

I never adjusted to the dowel and the strap in the gloves. Would get hung up on the handle when trying to release. Used them enough to notice a slight reduction in fatigue. Ended up cutting the dowel and strap from the gloves, then just switching to kevlar gloves from Masterline.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

I just need something to give me a little more strength/retention in my grip. What do you guys do for strength training for your hands? Squeeze a tennis ball 50X? Pull ups? Ideally it'd be something simple that I could do while sitting at my desk at work.
G
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar, 351 Windsor
Ive never skied with gloves, but can tell you a dowel like that helps tremendously from my gymnastics background. If you have ever seen the "gloves" gymnasts where, they are called grips. They are a piece of leather with a dowel like this that create a hook. Ive heard of study that we, gymnasts will sometimes be pulling and holding on through 3 g's on certain release and dismount elements. So yea, huge difference.