Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351
89 Prostar 190 charging issue

I have an 89 Prostar 190 with a 351 PCM from an 85 that I dropped in. The boat is a project and the motor was a good deal and runs well, so overall I am happy with it. The issue that I am having is that the battery won't charge while the boat is in use. I can put a trickle charger on it and charge the battery to full, which will give me a few hours on the lake, but last year I did need to get towed in once. Even with the full charge it sounds like the battery struggles a bit to crank over the motor. I purchased and installed a new alternator last year as well as a marine deep cell battery. The positive / negative cables are new and I also replaced the wiring harness that from the engine to the dash. The one part I don't understand is that the previous owner took out the lanyard kill switch. I jumped it to see if it made a difference and the boat will run with or without it connected. Do you think this could have something to do with not getting the charge to the battery? I plan on purchasing a new lanyard kill switch and installing it, however can't help but think there is more going on. I had the battery load tested and it tested out fine, so I think I'm good there.

Any advice would be great. Thank you

Last edited by funonthewater; 03-14-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
How many posts are on your alternator? Some are self-exciting (usually a single post alt.) and some require voltage on a wire connected to the "exciter" post.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:46 PM
TT Newbie

I pulled the alternator and took a photo of the back.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 04:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Just curious as to why you bought a deep cell battery? I do not believe that is the problem but not always a good idea to use as a starting battery...

I agree with TR's posts above...trace the wires and see where they go...seems as if the alternator is not actually doin what is supposed to do...
Old 03-14-2015, 05:17 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Just curious as to why you bought a deep cell battery? I do not believe that is the problem but not always a good idea to use as a starting battery...

I agree with TR's posts above...trace the wires and see where they go...seems as if the alternator is not actually doin what is supposed to do...
what's the voltage on the battery when it won't start - battery may have voltage but not the ability to delivery the amperage needed to start a boat. Deep cycles charge slower too. Lot of wires on that alternator.. mine only has 2 - exciters and wire back to batter to charge.. What's the little box with the voltage listed - external regulator?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 PM
TT Newbie

I thought the deep cell was the way to go for Marine. Maybe not?

Also, I went back into the garage and started digging again comparing the wiring to a diagram that I have notice that the orange wire coming off the alternator (toward the top of the previous pic) was taped off in the wiring harness. The diagram shows that it should go to the breaker, which it currently does not. The diagram also states "If the engine is equipped with an ampmeter, unhook the orange wire at the engine breaker and insulate the end of the wire. Since this is off of an '85, I don't know if that boat had one or not. I assume that the ampmeter would be on the dash, correct? I have a volt meter on the dash so I have to assume this orange wire should again be taped off. Other than this I traced back the exciter wire and everything looks good based on the diagram.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:45 PM
TT Newbie

The yellow is the exciter (EXC post), which changes to turquoise after the connector, the green off the E post goes to ground and the post with the boot is the orange wire that goes to nothing inside the wiring harness. Is the E post accurate for the ground wire? I'm not sure about the little box with the voltage on the side.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by funonthewater View Post
The yellow is the exciter (EXC post), which changes to turquoise after the connector, the green off the E post goes to ground and the post with the boot is the orange wire that goes to nothing inside the wiring harness. Is the E post accurate for the ground wire? I'm not sure about the little box with the voltage on the side.
The yellow wire being the exciter is correct and is on the correct EXC post. That wire should have 12+v when the key is in the on position telling the alternator to turn on and charge the system.

The E post does go to ground, so this is correct.

The orange wire is your charging lead and on my boat goes back to a terminal at the back of the engine at the main breaker. Your orange wire going nowhere is your problem in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Deep cycle batteries are for situations where you slowly draw the battery down on voltage, then recharge fully. These are commonly used for the stereo (if you have a big sound system) or an electric troll motor on a fishing boat. Starting batteries are designed for a heavy, short duration load which is recharged afterwards. Marine batteries come in both forms. Using them for the wrong purpose shortens their life.
$950 DELIVERED

5 14X5.5 T06 WHEELS W/GUNMETAL INLAY
5 ST215/75R14 KENDA LOADSTAR KR03 RADIALS
STAINLESS CENTER CAPS, LIFETIME CHROME LUGS
MOUNTED, BALANCED & READY TO INSTALL

PM or email me for tire, wheel or package pricing.
CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Chrome & Powder Coated Lugs
2 LED 6" BRAKE LIGHTS DELIVERED $25

tiresplease@gmail.com

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com