Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 AM
TT Regular

Trouble Launching Boat

I do not have a MC trailer but it is a drive on trailer for an IB type boat.

The boat trailers great. But when I unhook the winch strap from the bow eye when unloading the boat, the bow drops down and rubs over the winch stand roller bow stop. At one point it rubbed so hard that it pulled the rub rail off at the bow.

I have tried floating the boat off with the trailer deeper in the water but this does not help.

Do I need to have the trailer modified to take care of this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by skilew; 07-11-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Without seeing your rig, it's tough to tell but it sounds like you are in too deep with your trailer when you launch.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo137
Without seeing your rig, it's tough to tell but it sounds like you are in too deep with your trailer when you launch.
I thought the same thing. If the ramp is excessively steep it could be causing this issue as well. On the steep ramp I use I have to back in shallow and then push/lift the bow over the V block so the bow eye doesn't tear up the carpet.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
TT Regular

I have tried it at various depths but still no success. I am wondering if I may need another keel roller closer toward the front of the boat.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Sounds like you will need to modify it.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
I have the same problem with my boat / trailer when I launch.
When you back in, put the trailer in the water just enough to get the water intake in the water.
Then drive the boat off. If you have the trailer in shallow, the boat will still be on the bunks till it is about haft way off the trailer.Just make sure it is in deep enough to get water to the engine when you start it.
If this doesn't work you might have to raise the bunks on the front of your trailer.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
TT Regular

Sounds like I need to try and launch at a shallower depth. I will try this weekend and hope for better results.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilew
I do not have a MC trailer but it is a drive on trailer for an IB type boat.

The boat trailers great. But when I unhook the winch strap from the bow eye when unloading the boat, the bow drops down and rubs over the winch stand roller bow stop. At one point it rubbed so hard that it pulled the rub rail off at the bow.

I have tried floating the boat off with the trailer deeper in the water but this does not help.

Do I need to have the trailer modified to take care of this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I think it would help if you could post a picture of the front of your trailer showing the roller angle, the post angle, and the winch arrangement.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
I don't know how old your boat is but when I bought my '79 a year or two ago I put the back end in and tried to drive it off the trailer. I put it into reverse and the boat twisted weird and the front rudder fin hit the steel trailer support! Completely bent the rudder. And the worst part was the place that I asked to fix the thing couldn't bend it back perfectly straight. Umm, so I never back it off I always dump it very deep and push it off now. But I don't know if that helps you because the '79's didn't have winches. Just my
Old 08-03-2005, 11:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Launch at a shallower depth. The rule of thumb I use, the water should barely be at the top of the fenders of the trailer. We have been successful with this rule at numerous launches at many levels.